www.mfat.govt.nz www.safetravel.govt.nz
New Zealand Ministry of Foreign Affairs & Trade.
.Global IssuesInternational OrganisationsAfricaAntarcticaAsiaAustraliaTrade and Economic linksPolitical linksDefence linksPeople to people linksCaribbeanEuropeLatin AmericaMiddle EastNorth AmericaPacific

MFAT Related resources

External links

New Zealand Government agencies
Additional Australian Resources


The Trans-Tasman Travel Arrangement

The Trans-Tasman Travel Arrangement (TTTA) essentially provides that Australians and New Zealanders can travel to and live and work in one another's country without restriction.The TTTA is not expressed in the form of any binding bilateral treaty between New Zealand and Australia, but rather is a series of immigration procedures applied by each country and underpinned by joint political support.

New Zealand citizens have free entry into Australia and may visit, reside, work and live there for an indefinite period. On arrival in Australia, New Zealand citizens are given a Special Category Visa, denoted in their passports with an arrival date stamp. Note: people of "behaviour concern"(for example those with convictions carrying prison sentences) and people of "health concern" must apply for a visa before leaving for Australia. 

New Zealand citizens intending to reside in Australia should note that they will not be eligible for social welfare benefits in most cases unless they apply for, and are granted, Australian permanent residence or citizenship (see Social Security Agreement).

Citizens and permanent residents of Australia require a visa to enter New Zealand. This is automatically granted on arrival in New Zealand (no application is required, other than filling in an arrival card). People who have a criminal record may however be refused entry.

Australian dual/plural citizens who hold passports of more than one country should note that Australians re-entering Australia are required to present satisfactory evidence of their citizenship. An Australian passport is the preferred and most conclusive proof of Australian citizenship. People seeking entry as an Australian citizen without an Australian passport may face difficulties and delays in getting an airline to carry them and on entering Australia. More information on dual citizenship, and passports and consular assistance can be obtained from the Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) [external link].

For further information, contact the New Zealand Immigration Service [external link].

< Back

Page last updated: Monday, 09 December 2013 14:09 NZDT