Where you can study
As a New Zealand Scholar, you will get a top quality education at one of New Zealand’s world-class tertiary institutes or a major Pacific regional university. For our Short Term Training Scholarships, you can study at a training programme in New Zealand.
As a tertiary scholar, you can study at one of New Zealand's eight universities or at one of two institutes of technology. If you are from a Pacific Island, you can also choose to study at a Pacific Island university. It's important to find a tertiary institution that will meet your academic and personal needs. Each institution specialises in different subjects.
There are 10 institutions that New Zealand Scholars can study at - eight of these are universities and two are institutes of technology.
All of New Zealand's eight universities feature in the QS World University Rankings® 2016-2017 (external link). New Zealand universities are ranked in the top 3% in the world. We lead the way through academic excellence, individual thought and global connections. New Zealand universities rank in the world’s top 100 in 31 subjects.
New Zealand’s institutes of technology are recognised as world class educators. They provide high-quality qualifications and training focused on practical skills and hands-on experience.
The New Zealand campuses are spread throughout the country - in both the larger main centres and smaller cities. At some institutions, most students live on campus, and at others, most students live independently off-site.
To help guide you in your research as you consider which institution and programme of study will best fulfil you and your country’s development needs, we suggest you:
- Read the Directory for International Students (external link) on the Universities New Zealand website. It gives a helpful overview about each institution, including areas of speciality, academic programmes, location, accommodation options, and clubs and sports available on campus.
- Explore the Study in New Zealand website (external link). This is the best website to discover more about New Zealand’s high ranking education system and lifestyle. There are videos to watch, real student stories to read about, a lot of information about courses and programmes of study, plus advice about living in New Zealand, including accommodation and cost of living.
- Visit the websites of institutions you are interested in. Use the links below. Spend time exploring whether the institution is well known and respected for the subject area you are interested in studying. Or ask them to send you information about their programmes of study, student life at their institution and in their city to help you decide.
New Zealand ASEAN Scholar Awards, New Zealand Pacific Scholarships, and New Zealand Development Scholarships are available for study at any of the above ten New Zealand institutions.
New Zealand Commonwealth Scholarships are available for study at any of the eight New Zealand universities listed above (not at institutes of technology).
Find a course
You can also search for courses by subject areas and level of study using the search function on the Study in New Zealand database (external link)
If you're from the Pacific you may be able to apply for a New Zealand Pacific Regional Scholarship where you can study at one of the following institutions:
- University of South Pacific (external link)
- Fiji National University (external link)
- University of Papua New Guinea (external link)
- Pacific Adventist University (external link)
New Zealand's higher education system also includes 18 institutes of technology and polytechnics, which offer vocational courses of varying lengths and levels, focusing on practical skills and hands-on experience. Our Short Term Training Scholarships and internships for study at diploma and certificate level, are available at such institutions. See the following for more information:
- New Zealand Institutes of Technology and Polytechnics (external link)
- New Zealand Universities (external link)
Or contact Skills New Zealand (external link) to ask about a tailored programme for short term training and internships.
If you're from Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar or Indonesia, you may be eligible to undertake English language training in your home country prior to taking up your study in New Zealand. Further information will be provided to successful scholarship candidates.
English language training is available at these institutions:
- Indonesia Australia Language Foundation, Surabaya, Indonesia (external link)
- Vientiane College, Vientiane, Laos (external link)
- IDP Education, Cambodia (external link)
- Sagawa Consulting, Yangon Region or email: email@example.com