Who can apply
We offer scholarships to people from the Pacific and some countries in Asia, Latin America, the Caribbean, and Africa.
Eligible countries and regions
The New Zealand Aid Programme offers scholarships to students from over 90 countries around the world:
|The Pacific||Cook Islands||Federated States of Micronesia||Fiji|
|Kiribati||French Pacific Territories||Marshall Islands|
|Palau||Papua New Guinea||Nauru|
|Bhutan||Brunei||China (external link)|
|Africa||Algeria, Angola, Botswana, Cameroon, Djibouti, Egypt, Ethiopia, Gambia, Ghana, Kenya, Lesotho, Malawi, Mauritius, Morocco, Mozambique, Namibia, Nigeria, Rwanda, Senegal, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, South Africa, Swaziland, Tanzania, Tunisia, Uganda, Zambia, Zimbabwe.|
|The Caribbean||Belize, Dominica, Grenada, Guyana, Jamaica, St. Lucia, St. Vincent and the Grenadines.|
|Latin America||Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cuba, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Peru and Venezuela.|
Applicants from all eligible countries must meet the following conditions to be eligible for a New Zealand Scholarship:
- I will be at least 18 years old at the time I start the scholarship
- The country I am living in is in the list of eligible countries
- I am a citizen of the country I am living in
- I have been living in this country for at least the last two years (unless you are a member of the diplomatic corps or a dependent of a member of the diplomatic corps)
- I confirm that I am not currently serving in the military
- I want to study in New Zealand; or
- I want to study in the Pacific and I am from Kiribati, Niue, Samoa, Solomon Islands, Tonga, Tuvalu or Vanuatu
- I want to study at a level that is listed as available for my country for the scholarship that I am applying for
- I expect to meet Immigration requirements for a student visa to New Zealand or the Pacific country I will study in (i.e. medical checks, etc.). Please check the criteria for each country below:
- New Zealand (external link)
- Fiji (external link)
- Papua New Guinea (external link)
- Vanuatu (external link)
- New Zealand (excluding Samoa)
- South Korea
- Any European Union country
- United Kingdom
- Saudi Arabia
- United Arab Emirate
What if I don’t meet the criteria?
There are a range of other scholarships available to international scholars for study in New Zealand. Please visit the Study in New Zealand (external link) website for more information.
You may also wish to check the Scholarships Office of the education institution at which you wish to study.
I don’t have an IELTS or TOEFL score. Can I still apply for a scholarship?
IELTS is the International English Language Testing System. TOEFL is the Test of English as a Foreign Language. If you are awaiting the result of an IELTS or TOEFL test, you can note this on your scholarship application form.
If IETLS or TOEFL testing is not available in your region or country you can note this on your scholarship application form (Pacific islands only).