Embassy services for New Zealanders

Assistance for New Zealanders overseas

If you’re a New Zealand citizen, staff at New Zealand embassies can help you in several ways if you get into difficulties overseas – see https://www.safetravel.govt.nz/our-services(external link)

Consular staff at Embassies can:

  • provide advice re lost or stolen passports(external link) if you need to travel urgently
  • help you contact family or friends to request emergency fund(external link)s
  • provide a list of English-speaking lawyers, and contact family and friends on your behalf, if you are detained or arrested
  • provide advice on local medical facilities, help contact your family and or insurance provider if you are ill or injured(external link)
  • help with arrangements following a death overseas(external link)
  • in certain circumstances, provide notarial services such as witnessing affidavits, statutory declarations and other documents for use under New Zealand law
  • account for New Zealanders who may have been affected by a major overseas crises, such as civil unrest and natural disasters.

For more information please visit www.safetravel.govt.nz(external link) and https://www.facebook.com/SafeTravel.govt.nz(external link)

Notarial services

In certain circumstances, staff at this Embassy are able to witness affidavits, affirmations, statutory declarations and other documents for use under New Zealand law. The witnessing must take place at the New Zealand Embassy. Please call the Embassy Consular staff to enquire about this service, including applicable fees.

USA requirements for Emergency Travel Documents

Note that since 1 July 2009 all holders of ETDs travelling to or transiting through the USA require a non-immigrant Visa Class B1 or B2 from the United States authorities. B1 and B2 visa applications need to be made at the closest United States Embassy to where the ETD application is submitted.


We use cookies and other tracking technologies to improve your browsing experience on our website, to analyze our website traffic, and to understand where our visitors are coming from. You can find out more information on our Privacy Page.