Assistance for New Zealanders overseas
If you’re a New Zealand citizen, staff at New Zealand Consulates can help you in several ways if you get into difficulties overseas – see https://www.safetravel.govt.nz/our-services(external link)
Consular staff at Consulates can:
- provide advice re lost or stolen passports(external link) if you need to travel urgently
- help you contact family or friends to request emergency funds(external link)
- provide a list of English-speaking lawyers, and contact family and friends on your behalf, if you are detained or arrested(external link)
- provide advice on local medical facilities, help contact your family and or insurance provider if you are ill or injured(external link)
- help with arrangements following a death overseas(external link)
- in certain circumstances, provide notarial services such as witnessing affidavits, statutory declarations and other documents for use under New Zealand law
- account for New Zealanders who may have been affected by a major overseas crises, such as civil unrest and natural disasters.
For more information please visit www.safetravel.govt.nz(external link) and https://www.facebook.com/SafeTravel.govt.nz(external link)
In certain circumstances, staff at this Consulate are able to witness affidavits, affirmations, statutory declarations and other documents for use under New Zealand law. The witnessing must take place at the New Zealand Consulate. Please call the Consular staff to enquire about this service, including applicable fees.
Services on the West Coast
The New Zealand Consulate-General in Los Angeles provides Consular assistance to the twelve Western States of the USA:
- New Mexico
- Washington State