New Zealand documents

On this page

Passports and emergency travel documents

Only Department of Internal Affairs passport offices in London, Sydney, and New Zealand can issue passports. An online passport renewal service is now available.

Identity and Passports(external link) gives passport eligibility and timeframes, and answers frequently asked questions.

In an emergency, most but not all New Zealand embassies may be able to issue an emergency travel document.

Where postal services are irregular, the embassy can assist with forwarding passport applications to Wellington.

There is a separate fee for this service payable in local currency.

Contact the embassy for further information.

What is an emergency travel document?

As its name indicates, an emergency travel document is for emergencies.

You will need to decide whether it is better for you to wait a little longer for a standard passport, or whether you need an ETA.

An emergency travel document will have a restricted validity dependent on travel circumstances. If you plan to travel through several countries, it may be better to obtain a replacement passport.

You will need to return your emergency travel document when you apply for a replacement passport. The ETA, as well as any visas it contains, will be destroyed. Therefore, if you need a long term visa (eg a residence visa) it may be better to obtain a replacement passport.

Multiple entry visas, residence permits, and other long-life endorsements should not be entered into emergency travel documents.

Birth, death, and marriage certificates

Births, Deaths and Marriages(external link) provides New Zealand birth, marriage, and death certificates.

Postal address

Births, Deaths and Marriages
PO Box 10-526
Wellington 6140

Physical address

Births, Deaths and Marriages
Level 3
109 Featherston Street
Wellington 6011

Telephone, fax, and email

Tel 0800 22 52 52 New Zealand only
Tel +64 9 339 0852


Document authentication and apostille certification

Before certain New Zealand documents can be used overseas, document authentication or apostille certification may be necessary.

This is usually required where overseas officials are not able to determine on sight the authenticity of New Zealand documents.

To check the requirements, contact the relevant authorities in the country concerned or their overseas representatives.

Document authentication and apostille certification can be done only in Wellington, by the authentications unit of the Department of Internal Affairs. > Use your NZ documents overseas(external link) details how the process varies depending on the document type and country requirements.

An e-apostille is also available.

New Zealand driver licences

New Zealand Transport Agency > Overseas travel by New Zealand driver licence holders(external link) is a factsheet on the NZTA website.

Certificates of particulars

If you need to provide written authentication of your New Zealand driving experience (eg for a driver test) you can request a certificate of particulars.

A certificate of particulars sets out all details relevant to your New Zealand licence.

New Zealand Transport Agency > Certificate of particulars(external link) shows how to apply for a certificate.

Criminal records

New Zealand Police are often asked for a 'police clearance certificate', especially by people applying for a job overseas.

New Zealand Police does not produce clearance certificates as such. Instead, you can check your criminal record with the Ministry of Justice. 

Ministry of Justice > Criminal record check(external link) shows how you can get a copy of your criminal record.


We use cookies and other tracking technologies to improve your browsing experience on our website, to analyze our website traffic, and to understand where our visitors are coming from. You can find out more information on our Privacy Page.