Driving in the Philippines

Vehicles in the Philippines drive on the right side of the road, i.e. cars have the steering wheel on the left-hand side.

If you plan to be in the Philippines for more than 90 days and plan to drive a vehicle, you will need a Philippine driver’s licence. Foreign licences are acceptable for drivers staying here for shorter periods of time.

If you have a current New Zealand driver’s licence you will need the following to obtain a Philippine driver’s licence:

  • The original foreign licence plus a photocopy.
  • If you need a professional licence, or if your New Zealand licence is expired when you make the application, you will have to take both a written examination and a road test.
  • A completed application form.

The Land Transportation Office (LTO) issues all drivers’ licences. Offices are located throughout the country. When you apply the LTO will give you a receipt that will serve as your temporary licence for 60 days while your permanent license is being issue. For more information visit the Land Transportation Office(external link).

Back to Living in the Philippines


We use cookies and other tracking technologies to improve your browsing experience on our website, to analyze our website traffic, and to understand where our visitors are coming from. You can find out more information on our Privacy Page.