Accidents involving rental vehicles

New Zealanders visiting Viet Nam who are involved in motor accidents or who accidentally damage rented motorbikes or other vehicles will have to pay for damages and it may affect you leaving the country.

Even if insurance is taken out as part of the rental, there is usually an excess amount that has to be paid in the event of an accident.

The New Zealand Embassy will not be able to undertake negotiations on your behalf. You may need to engage a lawyer if the situation becomes serious. The Embassy is able to provide a list of lawyers upon request.

If you leave your passport with a rental firm, the Embassy will not provide you with a replacement. You will need to resolve the issue in order to recover your passport.

  • Passports should never be left with rental companies or individuals - only provide a photocopy.
  • Always take out insurance and have adequate funds to cover the cost of any excess to the insurance cover. If you cannot pay excess, don't rent a vehicle.
  • Be prepared to make a realistic payment for any repairs. Initial assessments may be inflated and may need to be negotiated down.
  • In the unlikely event you do have an accident you will be expected to pay hospital costs for anyone you injure - and possibly loss of income compensation as well.
  • DO NOT ride a scooter or motorbike in Viet Nam if you have never used one before.
  • If you do not have the appropriate vehicle license it is unlikely that you will be covered by your travel or health insurance if you have an accident.
  • Always wear a helmet. If you are not wearing one, this could also impact on your insurance cover.


We use cookies and other tracking technologies to improve your browsing experience on our website, to analyze our website traffic, and to understand where our visitors are coming from. You can find out more information on our Privacy Page.