Child Protection Orders

Since November 1991 the New Zealand and Australian authorities have cooperated to help children who are the subject of protection orders, whether they are living in New Zealand or Australia, under a protocol for the Transfer of Child Protection Orders and Proceedings and Assistance. For further information contact the local state government agency responsible for child welfare.

Child Support Payments

Since 1 July 2000 the New Zealand and Australian authorities have cooperated to make sure New Zealand parents living in Australia continue to pay the child support they owe, under a reciprocal agreement between the New Zealand Internal Revenue Department and the Australian Taxation Office.

The authorities in the country where the child lives will assess the child support owing by the parents. If the parent is a New Zealander who lives in Australia, the Australian Taxation Office will take into account their income in Australia in assessing the amount of child support they owe. The ATO will also collect payment from that parent.

For further information contact Child Support Agency Australia (external link) or the New Zealand Government Child Youth and Family Services (external link).

Back to living in Australia