New Zealanders buying property in Australia may need approval if they're buying rural or commercial property. If buying urban property, they may be able to get the First Home Owner Grant.

Urban property

New Zealanders don’t have to get approval from the Australian Foreign Investment Review Board (FIRB) before they buy an urban property in Australia.

Rural and commercial property

New Zealanders who want to buy rural or commercial property in Australia, like all other foreign citizens, would likely need Foreign Investment Review Board approval.

For more information, contact the Foreign Investment Review Board (external link).

First Home Owner Grant (FHOG)

New Zealanders living in Australia may also be able to get the First Home Owner Grant (external link).