New Zealanders working in Australia need to get a Tax File number (TFN) and pay Australian tax. Without a TFN an employer will withhold tax at the maximum rate plus the Medicare levy. Registration forms for a TFN may be obtained from the Australian Taxation Office.

For further information contact the Australian Taxation Office (external link). People who are liable for tax in both Australia and New Zealand need to contact both the ATO and the Inland Revenue Department (external link).

Back to living in Australia