Consular Assistance for New Zealanders overseas

Assistance for New Zealanders overseas

If you’re a New Zealand citizen, staff at New Zealand embassies can help you in several ways if you get into difficulties overseas – see link)

Consular staff at Embassies can:

Consular staff at Embassies cannot:

  • pay your hotel, travel or other bills, legal or medical expenses, or costs of returning a body to New Zealand
  • give you legal advice, including on family law matters such as child custody,  international surrogacy and adoption issues
  • investigate a crime or get you out of prison
  • get you better conditions in prison or hospital than a local citizen would receive
  • arrange visas or work/residency permits for you
  • operate a personal mail service for you including through the diplomatic bag or store your belongings
  • compel another country to overturn your travel ban
  • become involved in commercial disputes or civil litigation
  • secure access to or administer vaccines to New Zealanders who are located offshore

For more detail, see the section When things go wrong.(external link) 

For more information, please visit link) and link)


We use cookies and other tracking technologies to improve your browsing experience on our website, to analyze our website traffic, and to understand where our visitors are coming from. You can find out more information on our Privacy Page.