London Notarial Services
The New Zealand High Commission in London can provide some notarial services under New Zealand law when the documents are either New Zealand in origin, or for use in - or requested by - New Zealand organisations.
Our services include, but are not limited to, witnessing signatures, certifying true copies of original documents, and statutory declarations.
Appointments: This service is available by pre-booked appointment only each Tuesday and Thursday from 11am - 12 noon at:
New Zealand House, 80 Haymarket, SW1Y 4TQ.
Phone 020 7930 8422 to make an appointment.
Due to the increased security at New Zealand House, you must bring your passport or suitable government issued photographic identification to gain access to the High Commission.
Please note the following:
- We cannot certify photocopies. We will make the copies.
- We only certify foreign passports in limited circumstances.
- Your passport or photo driver licence or other current government issued photographic identity document must be produced as ID and confirmation of your signature for all witnessing.
- It is your responsibility to accurately present the documents and you must be clear on their particular requirements. We cannot give guidance or show you what is required.
- It is your responsibility to ensure that the receiving organisation will accept documents witnessed or certified by the High Commission. Our authority is as 'Commonwealth Representatives' under section 10 of the Oaths and Declarations Act 1957.
- The High Commission reserves the right to not sign any document the client does not fully understand, or copy any document which is outside the scope of our notarial services.
- The New Zealand High Commission does not provide legal services or advice on legal documents. For this you should seek the advice of a lawyer, a list of which can be provided on request. Consular officers are not Notary Publics or Justices of the Peace.
- For legal services for foreign documents, including foreign passports, please contact the Embassy/High Commission of that country or a UK Notary Public.
Fees: Fees are payable by cash or verified cheque only. There are no credit or debit card facilities available.
- To certify a true copy of a document
£10.00 for the first copy
£5.00 for each additional copy of the same document
- To have your signature witnessed or to make a statutory declaration
£20.00 for the first document
£10.00 for each additional document
Please inquire about fees for consular letters and other notarial services.
Marriage documents Form BDM58 – Notice of Intended Marriage (Resident outside NZ) can be signed by the staff in the London Passports Office for no charge. In Scotland, Northern Ireland, and Ireland, the New Zealand Honorary Consuls can sign this document. Please contact them for appointment times and fees.
Legalisation, authentication or an apostille for United Kingdom documents are done by the UK Legalisation Office
Website: www.gov.uk/get-document-legalised (external link)
Phone: 03700 00 22 44
To find Notary Publics based elsewhere in the United Kingdom, go to www.thenotariessociety.org.uk (external link)