New Zealand documents

On this page

Passports and Emergency Travel Documents

Only the Department of Internal Affairs passport offices in London, Sydney or New Zealand can issue a passport. A new online passport renewal service is now available. Please check the following link link) for eligibility, timeframes and frequently asked questions. In an emergency, most but not all New Zealand Embassies may be able to issue an Emergency Travel Document. Where postal services are irregular, the Embassy can assist with forwarding passport applications to Wellington. There is a separate fee for this service payable in local currency. Please contact the Embassy for further information.

What is an Emergency Travel Document?

As its name indicates, an Emergency Travel Document is for emergencies. You will need to decide whether it is better for you to wait a little longer for a standard passport, or whether you need an Emergency Travel Document.

You need to be aware of the following:

  • an Emergency Travel Document will have a restricted validity dependent on travel circumstances. If you plan to travel through several countries, it may be better to obtain a replacement passport
  • you need to return your Emergency Travel Document when you apply for a replacement passport. This, as well as any visas in the document, will be destroyed. Therefore, if you need a long term visa (eg a residence visa), it may be better to obtain a replacement passport
  • multiple entry visas, residence permits and other “long-life” endorsements should not be entered into Emergency Travel Documents.

Birth, Death and Marriage Certificates

Birth certificate with orange type.

New Zealand Birth, Marriage or Death Certificates(external link) can be obtained directly from the Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages. The Department of Internal Affairs websitehas details of how to obtain the certificates.

Postal address:
Births, Deaths and Marriages
PO Box 10-526
Wellington 6140

0800 22 52 52 (New Zealand only)

Phone from other countries:
(+64 9) 339 0852


Notarial Services

Many New Zealand organisations and government departments will accept documents witnessed or certified by any person with the authority to witness and certify documents. This can include United Kingdom lawyers, solicitors, notary publics, or court registrars.

This provision is outlined in the New Zealand Oaths and Declarations Act 1957(external link) (Section 11 Declarations made outside New Zealand).  

You can search for a local solicitor via link) or Notary Publics on link)

In special circumstances, staff at this High Commission are able to certify true copies of a document or witness statutory declarations and other documents for use under New Zealand law. The witnessing must take place in person at the New Zealand High Commission. Please email the High Commission to enquire about this service, including the applicable fees:

Document Authentication and Apostille Certification

Before certain New Zealand documents can be used overseas, they may require authentication or an apostille certification may be necessary. It is usually required where overseas officials are not able to determine on sight the authenticity of New Zealand documents. To check the requirements, contact the relevant authorities in the country concerned or their overseas representatives. The process varies depending on the document type and country requirements.

Legalisation, authentication or an apostille for New Zealand documents can only be done by the Authentications Unit of the Department of Internal Affairs in New Zealand. Their website has information on how to arrange these services from overseas. An e-apostille is also available.

Website: link)(external link)    
Phone: +64 (0)4 460 2221 
Office hours: Monday to Friday 8:30am - 5:00pm NZ time

Legalisation, authentication or an apostille for United Kingdom documents can only be done by the UK Legalisation Office.

Website: link)(external link)  
Phone: 03700 00 22 44

New Zealand Driver Licences

Information about New Zealand licences(external link) is available at the NZ Transport Agency (NZTA) website.

Certificate of Particulars

If you need to provide written authentication of your New Zealand driving experience (for Driver's Test) you can request a Certificate of Particulars(external link). This certificate sets out all details relevant to your New Zealand licence.

Obtaining a copy of your criminal record

New Zealand Police are often asked for a “Police clearance certificate”, especially by people applying for a job overseas. New Zealand Police do not produce “Clearance Certificates” as such, but you can get a copy of your criminal record(external link) from the Ministry of Justice.


We use cookies and other tracking technologies to improve your browsing experience on our website, to analyze our website traffic, and to understand where our visitors are coming from. You can find out more information on our Privacy Page.