New Zealand has Visa Waiver Agreements with the US, Canada, Mexico, Brazil, Argentina, Chile and Uruguay. Passport holders from these countries may visit New Zealand as a tourist for up tp three months without a visa if you have:
- return air tickets, or hold a valid onwards ticket to a country the traveller has a right to enter
- a passport valid for three months beyond the date they are leaving NZ
- proof of sufficient funds for the duration of the visit, and
- is only wishing to visit for the time granted on arrival
If the intention is to stay longer, you should apply for a visitor's visa. For a list of additional countries that participate in the Visa Waiver Agreement, please visit the immigration website (external link)
US and Mexico citizens travelling on valid "regular" passports do not have to pay visa fees for visitor, work, or student visas.
All applicants are required to pay VAC fees of US$38 per application.
There are three available options for people enquiring about applying for a visa for New Zealand, or enquiring if a visa is needed:
- The Immigration New Zealand website (external link). This website not only answers all questions relating to New Zealand visas, but is now also the portal through which an applicant can apply for their visa - through the Online system. By selecting the "Contact Us" option the enquirer can also access the Knowledge Base Q&A section of the website.
- Call the Immigration Contact Centre (ICC) in New Zealand at 011 64 9 914 4100. The ICC is operated 24 hours a day for 365 days of the year. It has staff fluent in various languages that are fully trained in all aspects of immigration policy and procedure.
- Call the Visa Acceptance Centre (VAC) in Washington DC at +1 202 223 3400. These questions should be limited to procedure - such as fees, postal addresses, etc.
Visa Application Centre (VAC) Washington DC
Address: 1120 19th Street NW, Suite No. 415
Washington DC 20036
Website: https://www.ttsnzvisa.com (external link)
Office hours: Monday to Friday 9.00am to 4.00pm
If you hold a passport issued by the Federated States of Micronesia, Republic of Palau or Republic of the Marshall Islands you will need a visa to enter into New Zealand. When traveling on a regular passport you can apply for your visa online (external link) or to your nearest Vistor Application Center (VAC).
Persons travelling on Regular Passports are typically required to post their passport to the nearest VAC.
Temporary visa application take between 20-25 business days to process depending on the type of application. For more information on time frames please click here (external link).
If traveling to New Zealand for official government business please see below instructions to obtain a visa:
Traveling on a Diplomatic Passport
- Complete the following application form [PDF, 528 KB] and submit it to Diplomats&Officials@mbie.govt.nz
- Copy in the Embassy in Honolulu at HLUEnquiries@mfat.govt.nz
Traveling on a Regular Passport
- Apply online or via the nearest VAC.
- Forward your application confirmation email to Diplomats&Officials@mbie.govt.nz and copy in the New Zealand Embassy at HLUEnquiries@mfat.govt.nz.
- In the body of the email state that the travel is for official business and request exemption from the requirement to mail in your passport*
*Exemption is decided on a case-by-case basis by Immigration New Zealand