Getting a driving license

If you have a valid foreign Driving License, and wish to apply for a Chinese one so you can drive in China, please seek for the latest information from the following authority:

Shanghai Vehicle Administration Office  上海车辆管理所
1330 Hami Road,Changning District, Shanghai  上海市长宁区哈密路1330号
Tel: 0086-21-62690606 (opening Monday – Friday, 9am -5pm)

Documents & Procedures:

  1. Valid foreign Driving License
  2. Translation of foreign Driving License
  3. New Zealand passport and valid Chinese visa (original and copy)
  4. Registration form of Temporary Residence
  5. Take photograph on site
  6. Medical report from physical exam
  7. Make an appointment for the theory exam
  8. Prepare and attend the theory exam
  9. Collect the license after one week

Note: Visa must be valid for at least 90 days – (minimum length for staying in China).

Visa and travel information

For all Chinese visa enquiries, please consult with:

Bureau of Entry& Exit Administration Shanghai Municipal Public Security Bureau 上海市公安局出入境管理局

  • 3F, 1500 Min Sheng Road (near Ying Chun Road), Pudong, Shanghai 200135  上海浦东民生路1500号3楼 (近迎春路)
  • General Phone Number: 0086-21-6854 1199
  • Visa/Certificate Enquiry: 0086-21-2895 1900 x 2 for Chinese Operators only
  • 24-Hour Emergency Line: 0086-21-2895 1109 / 2895 1111
  • Working Hours: Monday to Saturday 0900-1700
  • Shanghai Public Security Bureau website (external link)

Emergency contact numbers

  • Fire: 119
  • Ambulance and Rescue: 120
  • Police: 110
  • Entry/Exit Bureau 24 hours hotline 0086-21-28951900 / 0086-21-2895 1111

Where to buy New Zealand goods

NZ food and beverages are available at imported food supermarkets in Shanghai:

City Super (located in Shanghai IFC Mall, Shanghai Times Square and Shanghai IAPM Shopping Mall), Pine Supermarket, Feidan Grocery Shop, Carrefour Supermarket and Ole Supermarket, and;
Online shopping ( (external link), (external link) ) offers a variety of New Zealand seafood, meat, fruit, dairy products etc. for selection at competitive price.

New Zealand clubs, societies and social networks

Kea New Zealand

If you're a Kiwi or friend of New Zealand that is living in China become a Kea member today.

Kea was founded in 2001 to connect and engage our global people, for the benefit of Aotearoa New Zealand. Almost two decades on, Kea nurtures a vibrant and diverse community who share a strong passion for New Zealand and the success of its people and businesses. Becoming a member will give you full access to Kea tools and services, including the Kea Connect service, job portal and event portal. Find out more and register as a member for free on the Kea website (external link) or contact Kea directly at

Kiwi Drinks

Held on the third Friday of each month, an occasion for Kiwis to mix and mingle and to help them get settled in Shanghai. For more information and times contact:, venue: Fix Café, 283 Jian Guo Road West (建国西路283号)

Getting married

New Zealand citizens contemplating marriage in China, either to a Chinese citizen or to another foreigner, should review the following website on Chinese Government procedures.

Marriages in China are conducted according to the laws of China, regardless of the nationality of those being married.

New Zealand diplomatic and consular officers do not have the authority to perform marriages.

There is no legal obligation to register your overseas marriage in New Zealand; however you may do this if your marriage ceremony is witnessed by an authorised official from a New Zealand post. The only advantage of registering your marriage in New Zealand is that a marriage certificate can be issued to you from New Zealand. This certificate does not replace the marriage certificate supplied in China.

If you do wish to have a New Zealand consular witness at a wedding you will liable for costs incurred, ie airfares, accommodation, per diems etc, as well an hourly charge-out rate for a consular officer. Non attendance by a consular officer does not affect the legality of the marriage.

The current law relating to marriage in China is the Marriage Law of the People’s Republic of China 1980 as amended in April 2001. Under this law, marriage registration procedures are administered by the local civil affairs office (Minzhengju), in each jurisdiction.

Persons planning to marry should visit one of these offices for specific information. There will be a fee for this visit. If one of the partners is a Chinese citizen, the appropriate civil affairs office will be the one in the jurisdiction in which the Chinese citizen is registered (the location of the hukou). If both parties to the marriage are foreigners, the civil affairs office in the city in which they live will have jurisdiction. Generally, at least one of the partners must reside in China.

Two foreigners visiting China temporarily on tourist visas are unlikely to be able to register a marriage in China.

In Shanghai, inquiries should be directed to:

  • Shanghai Civil Bureau, Marriage Registration Dept.  上海市民政局婚姻登记处
  • Room E, 3rd Floor
  • Shanghai Ever bright Convention & Exhibition Centre
  • 82 Cao Bao Road (漕宝路82号,光大会展中心3楼E座)
  • Tel: 0086-21-6432 5087 / 0086-21-6432 5089 (press 2 for English services)
  • Working Hours: Monday to Saturday from 0900 to 1600 except Tuesday afternoon.

Upon receipt of an application to register a marriage, the civil affairs office will ascertain that both parties are of minimum marriageability age (generally 22 for men and 20 for women), although a higher minimum may be established by the local civil affairs office) and that both parties are single and otherwise free to marry. Persons who have been married previously will be asked to submit original or certified copies of final divorce or annulment decrees, or of death certificates if widowed.

The New Zealand partner to a marriage in China will generally be asked to submit the following:


Disclaimer:   The New Zealand Consulate-General Shanghai provides this non-exhaustive list from information which is publicly available.  By providing this information the Consulate is not endorsing any provider on the list.  The New Zealand Consulate-General Shanghai does not accept any responsibility for the quality of work performed by any local hospitals on this list or for the consequences of any advice or services provided.