Timing for submissions:
- Public input will help inform decisions about the approach New Zealand takes to negotiations on the post-2020 framework. Officials will be seeking an updated mandate from Ministers in February, for the position we take in the talks. Your views can be reflected in that advice if we receive them before 31 January 2022.
- Feedback from New Zealanders at any time in the lead-up can help inform our negotiations. To give us time to consider this, we suggest you submit your feedback before 31 March 2022.
Seeking your views: What should our targets be for life on earth?
The Convention on Biological Diversity is working to develop a new set of global targets called the Post-2020(external link) Global Biodiversity Framework. Governments who are Parties to the Convention will be expected to meet the targets in the finalised framework through action in their own countries.
During 2021 and early 2022, world leaders, ministers and policy makers are meeting to discuss these targets – leading up to Part II of the next conference of parties for the Convention (COP15(external link)). The New Zealand Government will participate in this process and wants to hear your views on the proposed new global goals and targets.
In considering your feedback, you may want to look at the existing set of global biodiversity targets, the Aichi Biodiversity Targets(external link).
You may also find it useful to think about the vision for biodiversity that countries agreed should be achieved by 2050 – “Living in Harmony with Nature" where: "By 2050, biodiversity is valued, conserved, restored and wisely used, maintaining ecosystem services, sustaining a healthy planet and delivering benefits essential for all people."
Find more information on the Convention on Biological Diversity(external link) and its role in the process.
The Convention on Biological Diversity website also contains:
- the initial views of New Zealand, other countries, NGOs and stakeholders
- discussion papers and other material prepared by the Convention on Biological Diversity
- a draft of the future targets and related processes
Submit your views
Submit your views on the draft set of global biodiversity targets(external link) (also known as the “Post-2020 Global Biodiversity Framework”) to CBD@mfat.govt.nz.
If you would like New Zealand negotiators to consider your views before the negotiating mandate is updated, submit feedback by 31 January.
To be sure to have your views heard before COP15, we suggest you submit your feedback by 31 March 2022.
You can also submit your views directly to the Convention on Biological Diversity: Secretariat@cbd.int