APEC 2021 organisers sign MOU with ATEED for Auckland-based meetings
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade and Auckland Tourism Events and Economic Development today signed a Memorandum Of Understanding to underpin planning and delivery of events for APEC 2021.
The Asia-Pacific is the fastest growing economic region in the world and APEC - the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation - is its leading economic forum.
APEC 2021 will be the largest event ever hosted by the New Zealand Government and provides opportunities to connect New Zealand businesses to the Asia-Pacific region, advance New Zealand’s policy interests in the region and showcase New Zealand to the world.
"Central Government, represented by the Ministry, acknowledges the special role that Auckland has in New Zealand hosting a successful APEC and this MOU sets out how we will work with ATEED and Auckland Council," says Andrea Smith, Deputy Secretary, APEC 2021 Programme, Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade.
The pinnacle of APEC is the arrival of its 20 visiting world leaders for Leaders’ Week to be held in Auckland 8-14 November, 2021.
Steve Armitage, ATEED General Manager Destination, says: "2021 will be a year that propels Auckland into the global spotlight, with the city playing host to Leaders’ Week, as well as the 36th America’s Cup.
"An estimated 10,000 attendees including a large international media contingent are expected to be in the city for Leaders’ Week, which provides a unique opportunity to showcase Auckland as an innovative, globally connected city.
"ATEED and Auckland Council look forward to working closely with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade along with other Central Government agencies to help plan for APEC, to deliver a truly world class event."
The MOU includes the Ministry’s responsibility for hosting APEC, coordination with Auckland Council and Auckland Council-Controlled organisations, core city operations, leveraging, iwi engagement, city presentation, stakeholder engagement, information sharing, coordination, communication and confidentiality.
About APEC New Zealand 2021
- APEC Leaders’ Week will be held in Auckland, 8-14 November 2021.
- 18,000-22,000 attendees will visit New Zealand during the year, including world leaders, government Ministers, CEOs from across the Asia-Pacific, youth and international media; around half come for Leaders’ Week.
- 71% of New Zealand’s two-way trade (exports and imports of goods and services) is with APEC economies.
- APEC includes seven of New Zealand’s top 10 export markets (for goods and services) and 14 of its top 20.
- APEC economies will account for 61% of global GDP by 2021.
- New Zealand last hosted APEC in 1999.
- ATEED – Auckland’s economic growth agency and a council-controlled agency – is leading the region's preparations for APEC on behalf of Auckland Council.
Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade: media team phone 64 21 375 105.
ATEED: Chris Gregory, ATEED Media Manager, phone 027 292 3601