Major bushfires are severely affecting parts of both New South Wales and Queensland.

A State of Emergency has been declared by the New South Wales Premier for the next 7 days and a State of Fire Emergency has been declared across 42 Local Government Areas in Queensland. Many residents in the affected areas in both states have been issued a ‘leave immediately’ or ‘prepare to leave’ order. Catastrophic fire danger is now forecast for the Greater Sydney and Greater Hunter areas on Tuesday 12 November 2019, due to worsening weather conditions. Large areas will see Severe and Extreme fire danger.

If you’re in or near an affected area, stay safe and follow the advice of local authorities. Details of affected areas, health services, preparedness information, and evacuation centres can be found at New South Wales Rural Fire Service (external link), New South Wales Government Emergency Management (external link), Queensland Rural Fire Service (external link) and Queensland Fire & Emergency Services. (external link)

In the event of emergency, always call Triple Zero (000).


Any New Zealanders requiring consular assistance should contact the New Zealand Consulate-General in Sydney on +61 2 9270 5900 or at

We encourage all New Zealanders living and travelling offshore to register on SafeTravel. SafeTravel is the official registration facility for New Zealanders travelling or living overseas. If you register with us, we're able to relay important information and account for your safety and wellbeing as part of New Zealand's consular response to an overseas emergency