UPDATE New Zealand Government response to COVID-19
On 19 March, the New Zealand government as taken further measures to protect New Zealanders from the COVID-19 (corona) virus, effectively stopping all tourists from boarding a plane to New Zealand.
The New Zealand Government has further strengthened travel restrictions, closing borders to almost all travellers from 23:59 on Thursday 19 March 2020.
New Zealand citizens, permanent residents, residents with valid travel conditions and their immediate family (partner or spouse, legal guardian and dependent children under the age of 24) can still come to New Zealand. Australian citizens and permanent residents who normally live in New Zealand can also return to New Zealand.
All affected foreign travellers must have checked in for their flight to New Zealand by this time.
Exceptions can be made on a case-by-case basis by Immigration New Zealand for:
- humanitarian reasons
- health and other essential workers
- citizens of Samoa and Tonga for essential travel to New Zealand
- the holder of a visitor visa who is the partner of dependent of a temporary work or student visa holder and who normally lives in New Zaland and is currently in New Zealand.
No other foreign traveller can enter New Zealand. Returning residents and citizens must isolate themselves for 14 days upon arrival.
German citizens who are currently in New Zealand should contact the German Embassy in Wellington (external link). Family members in Germany should liaise with the Federal Foreign Office (Auswärtiges Amt (external link)) directy.
For further information please
- Follow the advice of the NZ government about Covid-19 on www.covid19.govt.nz (external link)
- New Zealanders aborad should read the updated information and register at SafeTravel.govt.nz (external link)
- Visit Immigration NZ (external link) for temporary entry restrictions for foreign travellers
- Read the full press release about measures taken by the New Zealand government (external link)
Key contacts for medical assistance/questions concerning COVID-19 in Germany, Switzerland and the Czech Republic
- DE - German Ministry of Health (external link), Hotline: +49 800 011 77 22 (all of Germany)
- CH - Swiss Federal Office of Public Health (external link), Hotline: +41 058 464 44 88.
- CZ - The Czech Government (external link), Hotlines: +420 724 810 106 and +420 725 191 367.