Voting from overseas in the Hamilton West by-election


A by-election is being held in the Hamilton West electorate on Saturday 10 December to elect a new local member of Parliament (MP).

Eligible voters can vote from overseas from Wednesday 23 November to 7pm on election day, Saturday 10 December (NZ time).

Who can enrol and vote

You can vote from overseas if you are enrolled in the Hamilton West electorate and:

  • are a New Zealand citizen who has been in New Zealand in the last 3 years, or
  • are a New Zealand permanent resident who has been in New Zealand in the last 12 months.

For electoral purposes, you are a permanent resident. This could include someone who holds a valid resident or other visa provided the visa does not require you to leave New Zealand by a certain date.

How to Enrol

It’s easy to enrol, check or update your details. You can enrol or update your details at link) using your New Zealand driver licence, New Zealand passport or RealMe verified identity.

How to Vote

You can vote from overseas from Wednesday 23 November. Your voting papers are not automatically sent to you overseas. The easiest and quickest way to vote from overseas is to download and complete your voting papers for the Hamilton West by-election at link). You need to be correctly enrolled before you can download your voting papers.

You can complete your voting papers electronically which now includes you and your witness being able to sign your declaration. You can electronically sign your declaration by inserting an image of your signature or by drawing your signature using a signature pad, trackpad, touchpad, mouse, light pen, or similar device. If you are not able to do this, you will need to print and complete the signatures by hand. The Electoral Commission cannot accept typed signatures or digital certificates. Your witness needs to be present when you sign (either electronically or by hand). For more information visit

You may also be able to vote in person or request a postal vote from an overseas voting place. For the Hamilton West by-election, these will be located in London and Sydney.

If you are unable to download and complete your voting papers or obtain voting papers from an overseas voting place, please contact the Electoral Commission on or call +64 9 909 4182 (from overseas – international call rates may apply).

Completed voting papers can be uploaded at link), or hand delivered or posted to an overseas voting place. Full information on how to return your completed voting papers will be included with your voting papers.

Need help to vote?

You may ask for help to complete your voting papers if you are:

  • Blind or have low vision;
  • Have difficulty reading and writing; or
  • Have difficult with the English language

The person you ask for help may:

  • Assist you to mark your declaration or voting papers; or if you ask
  • Assist by marking the declaration form or ballot paper according to your instructions.

If you are blind, partially blind, or you have a physical disability which prevents you from marking your ballot paper without assistance, you may also be eligible to vote using the Telephone Dictation Service.

More information

If you have any further questions about enrolling or voting from overseas please email the Electoral Commission on or call +64 9 909 4182 (from overseas – international call rates may apply).


We use cookies and other tracking technologies to improve your browsing experience on our website, to analyze our website traffic, and to understand where our visitors are coming from. You can find out more information on our Privacy Page.