Benefits to New Zealand
A free trade agreement with the European Union will bring benefits to New Zealand businesses and consumers.
The European Union is one of the world’s biggest trading entities, and many New Zealand businesses have interests there.
The two key benefits of a free trade agreement with the European Union are:
- lower costs for consumers, making things like food and consumer goods cheaper for New Zealanders.
- a level playing field for businesses in New Zealand and the European Union by reducing tariffs, duties and other trade barriers.
More than buying and selling
We also want to achieve a progressive and inclusive free trade agreement that:
- works for companies of all sizes, big and small
- drives economic progress in a way that protects the environment and contributes to better living conditions
- safeguards our ability to regulate and decide what is best for New Zealand and our people
- Supports gender equality, indigenous rights and minimum work standards