Timeline for negotiations
We want a free trade agreement with the European Union as soon as possible.
- October 2015: EU and NZ leaders announce intention to negotiate FTA
- 2015-2017: Joint discussions on the scope of negotiations
- 2017-2018: Both sides get their mandate for negotiations
- June 2018: Formal negotiations launched
- July 2018: First round of negotiations, Brussels
- October 2018: Second round of negotiations, Wellington
- January 2019: EU and NZ leaders aim to complete negotiations by end of 2019
- February 2019: Third round of negotiations, Brussels
- May 2019: Fourth round of negotiations, Wellington
- July 2019: Fifth round of negotiations (TBC)
In January 2019, NZ Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern and EU Commission President Jean Claude Juncker announced their goal to conclude the agreement by the end of the year.
Once an agreement is reached, it will be released for public scrutiny, as will a National Interest Assessment.
The agreement will also undergo parliamentary treaty examination, be ratified by the Government and ultimately enter into force.