Timeline for negotiations
We want a free trade agreement with the European Union as soon as possible.
- October 2015: EU and NZ leaders announce intention to negotiate FTA
- 2015-2017: Joint discussions on the scope of negotiations
- 2017-2018: Both sides get their mandate for negotiations
- June 2018: Formal negotiations launched
- July 2018: First round of negotiations, Brussels
- October 2018: Second round of negotiations, Wellington
- January 2019: EU and NZ leaders aim to complete negotiations by end of 2019
- February 2019: Third round of negotiations, Brussels
- May 2019: Fourth round of negotiations, Wellington
- July 2019: Fifth round of negotiations, Brussels
- December 2019: Sixth round of negotiations, Wellington
- March 2020: Seventh round of negotiations, Brussels
With shared views in many areas of trade policy, it is hoped that we can reach conclusion on a high-quality and ambitious agreement quickly.
Once an agreement is reached, it will be released for public scrutiny, as will a National Interest Assessment.
The agreement will also undergo parliamentary treaty examination, be ratified by the Government and ultimately enter into force.