RCEP key facts
The 16 countries involved in RCEP include 10 members of ASEAN and six countries ASEAN has free trade agreements with.
- have a total population of more than 3.5 billion
- have a total GDP of around $US27 trillion, or 32% of global GDP
- account for about 28% of global trade
- collectively in the year to March 2018:
- represented 56.2% of New Zealand’s total trade (imports and exports of goods and services)
- took 59% of New Zealand’s goods exports and 52.1% of New Zealand’s services exports – a combined value of over NZ$45 billion.
New Zealand offers what’s in demand in these countries – a trusted food supply, quality education services in English, a safe tourism destination, and expertise in agriculture, engineering, renewable energy and commercial services. New Zealanders rely on these economies for access to quality, competitively priced manufactured goods such as vehicles, electronics, clothing and affordable tourism.