On this page
The European Union is one of the world’s biggest trading entities, and many New Zealand businesses have interests there.
The two key benefits of a free trade agreement with the European Union are:
- lower costs for consumers, making things like food and consumer goods cheaper for New Zealanders.
- a level playing field for businesses in New Zealand and the European Union by reducing tariffs, duties and other trade barriers.
More than buying and selling
We also want to achieve a progressive and inclusive free trade agreement that:
- works for companies of all sizes, big and small
- drives economic progress in a way that protects the environment and contributes to better living conditions
- safeguards our ability to regulate and decide what is best for New Zealand and our people
- Supports gender equality, indigenous rights and minimum work standards