On this page
Agreement in Principle
On 20 October 2021, New Zealand and the UK reached agreement on the key elements of a new high quality, comprehensive and progressive free trade agreement (FTA). These are set out below.
Underpinning this Agreement in Principle is the legal text of the agreement. In most areas this has also been substantially concluded. Work to finalise the text in accordance with this document will continue over the coming weeks, alongside the commencement of the legal review and verification of the agreement.
This Agreement in Principle does not create any legally binding obligations as work is continuing to finalise the legal text of the FTA. Once the text has been finalised and legally verified, and domestic approval processes have been completed, arrangements will be made for the signing of the FTA.
Find out more about the Agreement in Principle.
- New Zealand secures historic free trade deal with the United Kingdom, 21 October 2021 (external link)
- Face to face meeting delivers significant progress on NZ-UK FTA , 19 June 2021(external link)
- Trade Minister to travel to UK and EU to progress free trade agreements, 13 May 2021(external link)
- Press statement: NZ and UK agree to lift the pace of free trade talks, 5 May 2021(external link)
- Joint Statement on the Launch of New Zealand-United Kingdom Free Trade Agreement Negotiations
- Press statement: New Zealand and UK launch free trade talks, 17 June, 2020(external link)
- Press statement: Have your say on a United Kingdom-New Zealand trade agreement(external link)
- Press statement: UK launch of public consultations on a FTA welcomed, July 2018(external link)
- Joint statement on meeting of the UK-NZ Trade Policy Dialogue, April 2018
- Press statement by Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern on trade and international security threats, April 2018(external link)
- Joint press statement by Ministers, November 2017
- Joint press statement by Ministers, March 2017(external link)
- Joint press statement by Ministers establishing Trade Policy Dialogue, October 2016(external link)
Trade and Export Growth Minister David Parker and UK Secretary of State Liz Truss launch NZ-UK Free Trade Agreement.
NZ-UK FTA negotiations 'virtual launch'