On this page
Preparations for a UK-NZ free trade agreement
Since 2017 officials met regularly to discuss ways to prepare the ground for FTA negotiations. Key steps in our Trade Policy Dialogue discussions were:
- October 2016: New Zealand and the UK agree to establish a Trade Policy Dialogue following the UK Brexit referendum.
- March 2017: The first Trade Policy Dialogue meeting is held in London.
- May 2017: The second Trade Policy Dialogue meeting is held in London.
- September 2017: The third Trade Policy Dialogue meeting is held in London.
- April 2018: The fourth Trade Policy Dialogue meeting is held in Wellington.
- July–October 2018: The UK calls for public consultations on an FTA with New Zealand.
- September 2018: The fifth Trade Policy Dialogue meeting is held in London.
- November 2018–February 2019: New Zealand calls for public submissions on an FTA with the UK.
UK-NZ free trade agreement negotiation time line
- 17 June 2020: Negotiations formally launched. The results of New Zealand’s initial public consultation into a UK-NZ free trade agreement are published.
- 13–24 July 2020: First round of negotiations are held by virtual means.
- 19 October–2 November 2020: Second round of negotiations, also held virtually.
- 26 January–9 February 2021: Third round of negotiations, held virtually.
- 12–27 April 2021: The fourth round of negotiations between New Zealand and the United Kingdom was held virtually
- 8-16 June 2021: Fifth round of negotiations, held virtually.
- 19-30 July 2021: Sixth round of negotiations, held virtually
- 20 October 2021: Agreement in Principle reached.
A summary of the outcome of each round, in English and Te Reo can be found here.