Latin America scholarships
The New Zealand Aid Programme offers scholarships to people from Latin America who are motivated to make a difference at home.
In 2016 New Zealand Scholarships applications can be made online from 1st February 2016. Applications close on 30th April 2016. Any eligible country can apply online.
Eligible Latin American countries are Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cuba, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Peru and Venezuela.
Application deadline: 30 April 2016
You can contact your nearest Embassy or High Commission by clicking here.
English language training
As part of your New Zealand Development Scholarship, short term English language training (New Zealand based) may also be offered to enable candidates to meet English language proficiency conditions. Details will be provided to successful applicants.
New Zealand Development Scholarships are available for the following qualifications:
- Postgraduate Certificate (6 months)
- Postgraduate Diploma (1 year)
- Masters Degree (1 – 2 years)
Candidates must meet all the scholarship eligibility criteria including:
- Be a minimum of 18 years of age at the time of commencing your scholarship.
- Be a citizen of the country from which you are applying for a scholarship and have resided in that country for at least the last two years.
- Agree to return to your home country for a minimum of two years on completion of the scholarship.
Preference will be given to candidates who demonstrate strong academic ability, leadership qualities, and a commitment to the development of their home country.
Preference is also given to candidates who are 39 years of age or younger at the time of commencing their scholarship.
Preference will be given to candidates who apply to study in academic disciplines relating to one or more of the following:
- Agri-business management, agricultural economics, agricultural systems and management, rural development, domestic supply chains and distribution
- Biology, vegetable production, livestock/animal husbandry, crop management, sericulture (silk production), forestry, fisheries, aquaculture, agricultural pest management
- Phytosanitary, bio-security, biotechnology, agricultural trade,
- Food production, food sciences/technology, post-harvest processing, food storage and packaging, food safety
- For a list of available postgraduate qualifications relevant to agriculture development, please click here [PDF, 422 KB]:
- Solar, hydro engineering and wind energy, renewable energy distribution systems
- For a list of available postgraduate qualifications relevant to renewable energy, please click here [PDF, 392 KB]