The New Zealand Aid Programme offers scholarships to people from Kiribati who are motivated to make a difference at home.
Applications are now open for tertiary study beginning early 2019. Read Application dates for more information.
The following scholarship types are available. Follow the links below for more information about the particular scholarship type.
Candidates must meet all the New Zealand Scholarships eligibility criteria as outlined on this website.
We want scholars who are interested in studying subjects that can improve the social and economic development of your country. We’ve chosen priority sectors that can help your country and that New Zealand has expertise in.
If you can show that your study is connected to any of these sectors, you are more likely to be selected.
These are the priority sectors:
Environment, infrastructure and climate change mitigation
- Waste and sanitation management, water management and technology
- Environmental science, environmental studies, resource management
- Land rehabilitation, urban planning, and marine conservation
- Climate change mitigation, renewable energy technology
Fisheries and maritime skills
- Fisheries, aquaculture
- Post-harvest processing, food storage and packaging, food safety, bio-security, supply chains and distribution
- Maritime skills
- Health, public health, health administration, rural health services
- Early childhood, primary and secondary education, disability education
- Education administration, education management and leadership, education planning and curriculum development, assessment and evaluation, education planning, education research, special education, teacher training and upskilling
Public sector management/governance
- Public administration, public policy and management, public sector leadership and governance, human resource capacity development, information management/ICT
- Public financial management, government budgeting, tax reform, public sector auditing, statistics, demography, political science, social policy
Private sector development
- Business/private sector management and leadership, small and medium sized enterprises (SMEs) development, entrepreneurship, marketing, accountancy
- Value chain development, , logistics & supply chain management, trade facilitation, economics/ applied economics, business finance, commerce, industrial relations
- Tourism - Ecotourism, tourism management, tourism planning, tourism marketing
- Solar, hydro engineering and wind energy, renewable energy distribution systems
Read the What You Can Study page to see examples of qualifications for these subjects.
We are guided by both the Priority Sectors (above) and Selection Preferences when shortlisting candidates.
Make sure you understand our Selection Preferences. Including:
Under the ‘private sector development’ area, preference will be given to applicants interested in developing particular capabilities rather than generalist management and business administration
The application process for a New Zealand Pacific Scholarship for Kiribati applicants is different to other New Zealand Scholarships.
For an information pack on how to apply and the application form please contact the New Zealand High Commission, Bairiki during the following hours: Mon-Fri between 8:30am - 12.30pm and 1.30pm - 5.00pm.
Applications must be submitted to the New Zealand High Commission by 4.00pm Friday 16 March 2018. Please note late applications will not be accepted.
For questions which are not answered by the information on this website, submit an online enquiry here (external link).
New Zealand High Commission
PO Box 53
Tel: +686 21400