Papua New Guinea scholarships
The New Zealand Aid Programme offers scholarships to people from Papua New Guinea who are motivated to make a difference at home.
Applications open in early 2018 for tertiary study beginning early 2019. Read Application dates for more information.
The following scholarship types are available. Follow the links below for more information about the particular scholarship type.
Candidates must meet all the New Zealand Scholarships eligibility criteria.
Read the full eligibility criteria.
We want scholars who are interested in studying subjects that can improve the social and economic development of your country. We’ve chosen priority sectors that can help your country and that New Zealand has expertise in.
If you can show that your study is connected to any of these sectors, you are more likely to be selected.
These are the priority sectors:
- Agri-business: agricultural economics, agri-business management, agricultural systems and management, rural development, logistics, supply chain and distribution management, value chain development, agriculture marketing, international agribusiness
- Agriculture production: animal science, veterinary nursing, plant science, horticultural science, soil science
- Agriculture trade and technology: phytosanitary, bio-security, biotechnology, agricultural trade
- Post-harvest: food production, food sciences/technology, post-harvest processing, food storage and packaging, food safety
- Forestry, fisheries, aquaculture, agricultural pest management
- Solar, hydro-electric and wind energy, energy engineering and renewable energy distribution systems
- Market reform and sector management, including energy economics and energy efficiency
- Public policy, administration, finance, or governance in the above areas
Public sector management/development
- Public administration, public policy and management, public sector leadership and governance, human resource capacity development, information management
- Public financial management, government budgeting, tax reform, public sector auditing, statistics, demography, political science, social policy
- International trade and business, trade facilitation, trade policy
Private sector development
- Small and medium sized enterprises (SMEs) development
- Business/private sector management and leadership, entrepreneurship, marketing, accountancy
- Value chain development, , logistics & supply chain management, trade facilitation, economics / applied economics, business finance, commerce, industrial relations
- Tourism - Ecotourism, tourism management, tourism planning, tourism marketing
- Environmental science, environmental studies, resource management, urban planning
- Water technology, marine conservation, forestry, renewable energy technology, land rehabilitation, waste management, and climate change
Health (postgraduate only)
Read the What You Can Study page to see examples of qualifications for these subjects.
We are guided by both the Priority Sectors (above) and Selection Preferences when shortlisting candidates.
Make sure you understand our Selection Preferences. Including:
- Under the ‘Private sector development’ area, preference will be given to applicants interested in developing particular capabilities rather than generalist management and business administration
- MFAT does not currently support studies towards the Bachelor of Engineering (Honours) at Canterbury University
For questions which are not answered by the information on this website, submit an online enquiry here (external link).
New Zealand High Commission
PO Box 1051 Waigani 131
NCD Papua New Guinea
Tel: (+675) 325 9444