The New Zealand Aid Programme offers scholarships to people from Timor-Leste who are motivated to make a difference at home.
Applications open from February 2017. Click here to see opening and closing dates for scholarship applications.
For Timor-Leste, under the NZDS scheme, we offer both undergraduate and postgraduate study for all priority sectors except education. For the education priority sector we offer only postgraduate study.
Candidates must meet all the New Zealand Scholarships eligibility criteria as outlined on this website.
We want scholars who are interested in studying subjects that can improve the social and economic development of their country. We have chosen priority sectors that can help your country and that New Zealand has expertise in. If you can show that your study is connected to any of these sectors, you are more likely to be selected.
These are the priority sectors:
Private sector development (business and commerce)
- Business/private sector management and leadership, small and medium sized enterprises (SMEs) development, entrepreneurship, marketing, accountancy
- Value chain development, logistics & supply chain management, trade facilitation, economics/ applied economics, business finance, commerce, industrial relations
- Tourism, including ecotourism, tourism management, tourism planning, tourism marketing
- Computer systems engineering, programming, computer science, computer studies, software development, software engineering
- Electronic engineering
- Financial management information systems.
Agriculture development (including fisheries and forestry)
- Agri-business management, agricultural economics, agricultural systems and management, rural development, domestic supply chains and distribution
- Biology, vegetable production, livestock/animal husbandry, crop management, agricultural pest management
- Forestry, fisheries, aquaculture.
- Phytosanitary, bio-security, biotechnology, agricultural trade,
- Food production, food sciences/technology, post-harvest processing, food storage and packaging, food safety
Governance, peace and justice
- Criminology, psychology, forensics, peace and conflict studies, human rights
Public sector management
- Economic policy: public financial management, government budgeting, tax reform, public sector auditing, statistics, demography
- Education: policy, sector management and reform
- Public sector leadership: public administration, public policy and management, public sector leadership and governance, human resource capacity development, information management
- International trade and business, trade facilitation, trade policy
Environment and resource management
- Environmental science, environmental studies, resource management, urban planning
- Water technology, marine conservation, forestry, renewable energy technology, land rehabilitation, waste management, climate change
For study in areas related to Education we offer postgraduate study only, under NZDS
- Rural basic education, early childhood, primary and secondary education. disability education, English language training
- Education administration, education management and leadership, education planning and curriculum development, assessmnet and evaluation, education planning, education research, special education, teacher training and upskilling.
Read the What You Can Study page to see examples of qualifications for these subjects.
We are guided by both the Priority Sectors (above) and Selection Preferences when shortlisting candidates.
Make sure you understand our Selection Preferences.
For questions which are not answered by the information on this website, submit an online enquiry here (external link).
STTS Enquiries Only
Development Programme Coordinator New Zealand Embassy 19 Rua Ermera,
Phone: +670 331 0856
For any questions which are not answered by the information on this website, please submit an online enquiry here (external link).