The New Zealand Aid Programme offers scholarships to people from Tonga who are motivated to make a difference at home.
Applications open in early 2018 for tertiary study beginning early 2019. Read Application dates for more information.
The following scholarship types are available. Follow the links below for more information about the particular scholarship type.
Candidates must meet all the New Zealand Scholarships eligibility criteria. Note: there are differing criteria for different scholarships.
Read the full eligibility criteria.
We want scholars who are interested in studying subjects that can improve the social and economic development of your country. We’ve chosen priority sectors that can help your country and that New Zealand has expertise in.
If you can show that your study is connected to any of these sectors, you are more likely to be selected.
These are the priority sectors:
- Early childhood, primary and secondary education, disability and special education
- Education administration, education management and leadership, education planning and curriculum development, assessment and evaluation, education planning, education research, special education, teacher training and professional development.
Private sector development
- Small and medium sized enterprises (SMEs) development.
- Business/private sector management and leadership, entrepreneurship, marketing, accountancy
- Value chain development, , logistics & supply chain management, trade facilitation, economics/ applied economics, business finance, commerce.
- Solar, hydro-electric and wind energy, energy engineering, renewable energy distribution systems, energy sector management/reform, including energy economics and financials
- Maritime transport, aviation, skilled trades
- Agri-business management: agricultural economics, agricultural systems and management, rural development, logistics, supply chain and distribution management, value chain development, agriculture marketing, international agribusiness
- Agriculture production: animal science, veterinary nursing, plant science, horticultural science, soil science
- Agriculture trade and technology: Phytosanitary, bio-security, biotechnology, agricultural trade
- Post-harvest: food production, food sciences/technology, post-harvest processing, food storage and packaging, food safety
- Fisheries, aquaculture.
Read the What You Can Study page to see examples of qualifications for the above subjects.
We are guided by both the Priority Sectors (above) and Selection Preferences when shortlisting candidates.
Make sure you understand our Selection Preferences.
In addition to the Selection Preferences, in Tonga there will be a preference for undergraduate or masters-level study for tertiary scholarships.
For questions which are not answered by the information on this website, submit an online enquiry here (external link).
Government of Tonga Scholarships Office
PO BOX 61
Kingdom of Tonga