The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade offers internships during the summer period in New Zealand from November to February. Applications are now open, closing 30 August 2020.
Applications for our Aorere Foreign Policy Internships are now open!
- Curious about global challenges and how you can make a difference for Aotearoa's place in the world?
- Let us introduce you to the world of foreign policy and a career in diplomacy.
- 11 week paid internship - Wellington based
We’re welcoming tauira Māori to join us this summer in Wellington for our Aorere Foreign Policy Internship programme.
What can an Aorere internship offer you?
As an Aorere intern, you will gain valuable work experience and development opportunities, as well as an insight into the world of foreign policy and diplomacy. The internship is an excellent way to prepare for a graduate role with MFAT, or the wider public service.
As an Aorere intern, you may find yourself working on areas such as advising the government on our relations with other countries, climate change and the environment, develop¬ment and humanitarian activities, the UN and human rights, trade negotiations or international security & arms control. These are all kaupapa which are important to the safety and prosperity of Aotearoa whānui including Te Iwi Māori.
Your Aorere internship will include:
- A paid internship over summer within one of our foreign policy teams
- A research project and opportunity to present your findings
- Participation in the Māori engagement programme led by our Māori policy unit.
- A workshop series designed to prepare you for a graduate role
- Opportunities to use, share and further develop your mātauranga Māori skills
- Networking opportunities
- Support and guidance from a mentor
- A great group of other interns to learn with!
- Travel assistance will be provided for interns outside of the Wellington region.
The Aorere internships are part of MFAT’s efforts to attract more Māori staff to help ensure that our foreign ministry and its advice reflects the full diversity of Aotearoa.
The nature of our work is broad-ranging, so we’re looking for students with a range of skills, experiences and backgrounds. We’re looking for people who are curious about global challenges and other cultures - people who are keen to help make positive changes for Aotearoa. You may bring with you cultural networking skills or mātauranga Māori which are exceptional skills to have when it comes to promoting our country internationally. And because relationships are at the heart of what we do, you’ll enjoy working with people.
Our minimum requirements:
- Studying towards a minimum of a Bachelor’s level qualification – any discipline.
- You are within your last year or two of study with a good academic track record.
- Willing and able to be based in Wellington between mid-November 2020 – mid-February 2021.
- Group participation skills showcased through either cultural, community, volunteer, church or sports based activities
- New Zealand citizenship, and of Māori descent.
Key steps in our application process
Applications – Closing 30 August
- Apply online (external link) - you'll need a CV and unofficial transcript ready to upload. Cover letters and references are not required at this stage.
Assessment stage – early to mid-September
These online assessments will be completed over two weekends.
- Video introduction
- Written exercise
Online Interviews – late September
Those selected to interview will be interviewed via Zoom by two of our Foreign Policy Officers.
Offers made – Late September/Early October
We’ll let you know by late September/early October if your application has been successful.
If you need a hand with some of the assessment components above?
Let us know - we're here to help – mā mātou koe e āwhina!
Email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Got any questions?
Email us at email@example.com
We have other opportunities for people to join areas of our Ministry as interns:
- Government Legal Network Summer Clerk Programme (external link)
- Tupu Tai Pasifika Public Sector Internship Programme (external link)
- Health and Safety Internship Programme (external link)
Internships at posts
At times, MFAT will offer internships for New Zealand students at an overseas post. The opportunities are advertised by the post in the respective country offering the opportunity.