On this page
Embassies and consular services for Denmark
|Royal Danish Embassy
Our relationship with Denmark
Our relations with Denmark are warm and friendly. As small trading nations we share common values and hold similar views on such matters as sustainable development, human rights, peacekeeping and UN reform.
Nineteenth century Danish immigrants to New Zealand founded towns such as Dannevirke and Norsewood, along with other Scandinavian settlers.
Denmark is a world leader in innovation in many fields and there are opportunities for New Zealand to engage in such areas as shipping, health and pharmaceuticals and green technologies (particularly wind and energy efficiency), which are strengths of Denmark.
Denmark is a member of the Friends of Fossil Fuel Subsidy Reform, a group initiated by New Zealand that works to encourage the phasing out of fossil fuel subsidies. Denmark is a partner in the Small Advanced Economies Initiative that New Zealand established, and it is also part of the Global Research Alliance on Agricultural Greenhouse Gas Emissions, of which New Zealand is the current Secretariat.
A Film Coproduction Agreement was signed at the Cannes Film Festival in May 2014. This gives makers of coproduced film and television access to funding and incentives in line with those available for ‘national’ programmes in each country.
Information on Working Holiday Schemes(external link) is available on the Immigration New Zealand website.
Other Bilateral Agreements
Other bilateral agreements between our two countries include a Bilateral Visa Waiver Agreement, Double Tax Agreement and a Social Security Agreement. These can be found on New Zealand Treaties Online(external link).
Information on New Zealand’s trade relationship with Denmark is available on the New Zealand Trade Dashboard(external link).
As Denmark is a European Union member state, the EU-NZ FTA will apply to trade between Denmark and New Zealand following ratification and entry into force.
- New Zealand is represented in Denmark by the New Zealand Embassy to Sweden
- Denmark is represented in New Zealand by the Royal Danish Embassy
- There is also the Royal Danish Consulate-General in Wellington, the Royal Danish Consulate-General in Auckland, and the Consulate in Christchurch.
Recent official visits
New Zealand to Denmark
- June 2022: Minister for Energy and Resources, Hon Dr Megan Woods
- February 2018: Hon Damien O'Connor, Minister of Agriculture
- May 2017: Hon Mark Mitchell, Minister of Defence
Denmark to New Zealand
- March 2016: The Danish Parliamentary Health and Elder Care Committee
- February 2013: The Danish Parliamentary Defence Committee