On this page
Embassies and consular services for Austria
|Embassy of Austria
|New Zealand Embassy to Austria and Permanent Mission to the United Nations
|Austria, Hungary, Slovakia, Slovenia
Our relationship with Austria
New Zealand and Austria have a warm and enduring relationship. We share many common interests and values, including a strong commitment to multilateralism. We work closely together on international peace and security, disarmament and non-proliferation of nuclear weapons, UN Security Council reform and human rights issues.
While the Austrian community in New Zealand is small, past residents have had a significant impact on New Zealand’s cultural life. These include Ferdinand von Hochstetter, known as ‘the father of New Zealand geology’, architect Ernst Plischke, and philosopher Karl Popper, who both lived in New Zealand during World War II, as well as artist Friedensreich Hundertwasser, who made his home in New Zealand in the 1970s.
In May 2023, New Zealand and Austria signed a Joint Declaration on Strategic Cooperation(external link), which outlines bilateral and multilateral cooperation between our two countries.
Information on New Zealand’s Working Holiday Scheme with Austria(external link) is available on the Immigration New Zealand website.
Other Bilateral Agreements
Other bilateral agreements between our two countries include an Air Services Agreement, a Bilateral Visa Waiver Agreement and a Double Tax Agreement. These can be found on New Zealand Treaties Online(external link).
New Zealand's trade with Austria is available on the New Zealand Trade Dashboard(external link).
As Austria is a European Union member state, the EU-NZ FTA will apply to trade between Austria and New Zealand following ratification and entry into force
- New Zealand is represented in Austria by the New Zealand Embassy to Austria and Permanent Mission to the United Nations, Vienna
- Austria is represented in New Zealand by the Austrian Embassy, Canberra, Australia
Recent official visits
New Zealand to Austria
- June 2022: Hon Phil Twyford, Minister of Disarmament and Arms Control
- June 2016: Hon Todd McClay, Minister of Trade
- March 2015: Hon Peter Dunne, Associate Minister of Health attended the 58th Session of the United Nations Commission on Narcotic Drugs, Vienna
- March 2014: Hon Peter Dunne, Associate Minister of Health attended the 57th Session of the United Nations Commission on Narcotic Drugs, Vienna
Austria to New Zealand
- May 2023: Martin Kocher, Minister for Labour and Economy
- February 2023: Austrian Parliamentary Friendship Group