A by-election to elect a new Member of Parliament for the general electorate of Mt Albert will be held in New Zealand on Saturday 25 February 2017.
Filter map by:
- NZ Inc Strategies
Our relationship with Ireland
New Zealand has a friendly, long-standing relationship with Ireland – with deep personal and cultural links. Around one in every six New Zealanders claims Irish descent and St Patrick’s Day is widely celebrated throughout the country each year.
We have close cooperation on foreign policy issues such as climate change, disarmament and human rights.
Ireland is a partner in the Small Advanced Economies Initiative established by New Zealand. Ireland and New Zealand also collaborate closely in the Global Research Alliance on Agricultural Greenhouse Gas Emissions.
New Zealand remains involved with the International Fund for Ireland, an independent international body set up by the British and Irish Governments in 1986 to promote economic and social advancement, and to encourage dialogue and reconciliation between nationalists and unionists throughout Ireland.
There is a social security agreement in place between New Zealand and Ireland, and a working holiday scheme has been in place since 1995.
Total trade in goods
Exports to Ireland
Top exports: butter and other dairy, frozen fish
Imports from Ireland
|Top imports: crude oil|
|GDP per capita||US $53,462||(NZ GDP per capita is US$43,837)|
New Zealanders aged between 18 and 30 can apply for a 12-month working holiday visa for Ireland.
To apply, you can post the application form to the Consulate General of Ireland in Auckland.
For more information, go to the Consulate General of Ireland in Auckland website (external link).
- New Zealand is represented in Ireland by the New Zealand High Commission, London
- There is also a New Zealand Honorary Consulate-General, Dublin
- Ireland is represented in New Zealand by the Embassy of Ireland in Canberra, Australia (external link)
- Ireland also has a Consulate-General of Ireland in Auckland (external link)
New Zealand to Ireland
- July 2015: Minister of Trade and Climate Change issues Tim Groser visited Ireland for climate change and trade talks
- April 2015: Speaker of the House David Carter led the 2015 Speaker's Delegation to Ireland
- July 2013: Education Minister Hekia Parata visited for education sector meetings
- June 2013: Social Development Minister Paula Bennett visited to see community organisations and to discuss welfare reform
Ireland to New Zealand
- March 2015: Communications, Energy and Natural Resources Minister Alex White visited New Zealand for St Patrick's Day celebrations
- March 2014: Agriculture Minister Simon Coveney visited for St Patrick's Day celebrations
- March 2010: Minister for Health and Children Mary Harney
- October 2007: President Mary McAleese made a State visit to New Zealand
News & Events
Information for Foreign Missions to New Zealand, visitors to New Zealand and concerned families overseas.
Statement as delivered by Carolyn Schwalger, Deputy Permanent Representative of New Zealand to the United Nations, 8 November 2016
Delivered by Carolyn Schwalger, Deputy Permanent Representative of New Zealand to the United Nations , 29 February 2016.