There is currently an outbreak of measles in New Zealand. The outbreak is pre-dominantly in the Auckland region.
Our relationship with Ireland
New Zealand has a friendly, long-standing relationship with Ireland – with deep personal and cultural links. Around one in every six New Zealanders claims Irish descent and St Patrick’s Day is widely celebrated throughout the country each year.
We have close cooperation on foreign policy issues such as climate change, disarmament and human rights.
Ireland is a partner in the Small Advanced Economies Initiative established by New Zealand. Ireland and New Zealand also collaborate closely in the Global Research Alliance on Agricultural Greenhouse Gas Emissions.
New Zealand remains involved with the International Fund for Ireland, an independent international body set up by the British and Irish Governments in 1986 to promote economic and social advancement, and to encourage dialogue and reconciliation between nationalists and unionists throughout Ireland.
There is a social security agreement in place between New Zealand and Ireland, and a working holiday scheme has been in place since 1995.
Year ending March 2019 statistics
Exports to Ireland
Top exports: Wine, mechancal machinery and equipment
Imports from Ireland
|Top imports: Pharmaceutical products|
|GDP per capita||US $77,450|
New Zealanders aged between 18 and 30 can apply for a 12-month working holiday visa for Ireland.
To apply, you can post the application form to the Consulate General of Ireland in Auckland.
For more information, go to the Consulate General of Ireland in Auckland website (external link).
- New Zealand is represented in Ireland by the New Zealand Embassy, Dublin
- Ireland is represented in New Zealand by the Embassy of Ireland, Wellington (external link)
- Ireland also has a Consulate-General of Ireland in Auckland (external link)
New Zealand to Ireland
- November 2018: Minister of Foreign Affairs and Trade visited Dublin to officially open New Zealand's first resident embassy in Ireland
- January 2018: Minister of Agriculture visited Ireland to discuss agricultural production and trade.
- July 2015: Minister of Trade and Climate Change issues Tim Groser visited Ireland for climate change and trade talks
- April 2015: Speaker of the House David Carter led the 2015 Speaker's Delegation to Ireland
- July 2013: Education Minister Hekia Parata visited for education sector meetings
Ireland to New Zealand
- March 2015: Communications, Energy and Natural Resources Minister Alex White visited New Zealand for St Patrick's Day celebrations
- March 2014: Agriculture Minister Simon Coveney visited for St Patrick's Day celebrations
- March 2010: Minister for Health and Children Mary Harney
- October 2007: President Mary McAleese made a State visit to New Zealand
News & Events
Die Botschaften von Australien, Kanada, Neuseeland und des Vereinigten Königreichs nehmen gemeinsam am Berliner Christopher Street Day 2019 teil.
From 1 October 2019, some international visitors and transit passengers must have an NZeTA (New Zealand Electronic Travel Authority) before travelling to NZ
Find out more about the current outbreak of measles in New Zealand.