A by-election to elect a new Member of Parliament for the general electorate of Mt Albert will be held in New Zealand on Saturday 25 February 2017.
Filter map by:
- NZ Inc Strategies
Our relationship with Sweden
New Zealand and Sweden have a tradition of friendly and cooperative relations. Our countries share similar outlooks on global issues, including trade, agricultural reform, disarmament, human rights, and the environment.
Contacts between New Zealand and Sweden have existed since the early stages of European settlement in New Zealand, with significant numbers of Swedes settling in the North Island along with other Scandinavians.
Sweden is a champion of sustainable growth and a founding member of the Friends of Fossil Fuel Subsidy Reform, a group of non-G20 countries initiated by New Zealand in 2010 to support the G20 (and subsequently APEC) commitment to phase out inefficient fossil fuel subsidies.
Sweden is also one of the original members of the Global Research Alliance on Agricultural Greenhouse Gases, established by New Zealand in 2009. This alliance focuses on research, development and extension of technologies and practices that will help deliver ways to grow more food without increasing greenhouse gas emissions.
A Working Holiday Scheme between Sweden and New Zealand has been in place since 2001, enabling Swedish and New Zealand nationals aged between 18 and 30 to work for up to a year in the other country. Unlimited places are available under this scheme to young citizens of Sweden.
Total trade in goods
Exports to Sweden
Top exports: sheep meat, wine, apples and seafood
Imports from Sweden
|Top imports: farming machinery, motor vehicles, electrical machinery and pharmaceutical products|
|GDP per capita||US $46,769||(NZ GDP per capita is US$43,837)|
- New Zealand is represented in Sweden by the New Zealand Embassy in Brussels, Belgium
- Sweden is represented in New Zealand by the Swedish Embassy in Canberra, Australia (external link)
New Zealanders aged between 18 and 30 can apply for a 12-month working holiday visa for Sweden.
Read more about how to apply (external link).
New Zealand to Sweden
- October 2015: Minister of Social Housing Paula Bennett visited Stockholm
- April 2011: Minister of Trade Tim Groser visited Stockholm to meet trade and climate change counterparts
- December 2009: Minister of Foreign Affairs Murray McCully attended European Union consultations in Sweden
- October 2007: Minister of Foreign Affairs Winston Peters met the Swedish Foreign Minister, the Development Cooperation Minister, and the Parliamentary Committee for Foreign Affairs
Sweden to New Zealand
- September 2014: Supreme Commander of the Swedish Armed Forces, General Goranson, visited New Zealand
- March 2014: State Secretary Bertil Osberg attended the fourth International Summit on the Teaching Profession in Wellington
- October 2008: Princess Birgitta of Sweden visited New Zealand
- February 2005: Swedish Prime Minister Goran Persson undertook the first visit to New Zealand by a Swedish prime minister
News & Events
Information for Foreign Missions to New Zealand, visitors to New Zealand and concerned families overseas.
Statement as delivered by Carolyn Schwalger, Deputy Permanent Representative of New Zealand to the United Nations, 8 November 2016
Delivered by Carolyn Schwalger, Deputy Permanent Representative of New Zealand to the United Nations , 29 February 2016.