Vacancy: Policy Adviser, Agriculture
New Zealand Embassy, Ha Noi (Application closing date – 5pm Wednesday 6 June 2018)
The New Zealand Embassy seeks applicants with research and technical experience in trade or agriculture policy, strong networking skills, and familiarity with government agencies, for the role of Policy Adviser, Agriculture.
The purpose of the role is to provide policy and administrative support for the newly created position of Agriculture Counsellor at the Embassy, with a key focus on developing New Zealand’s growing agricultural relationship with Viet Nam, and to a lesser extent Cambodia and Laos. The role will require monitoring and providing advice on Viet Nam’s agriculture and food safety policy, and trade market access requirements. The role requires providing high quality technical and general translation/interpretation support, building strong networks with Vietnamese and New Zealand government agencies and other embassies, and undertaking logistical support for official meetings and visits. This is an exciting new role which will appeal to applicants who have previous policy or technical advisory experience in agriculture or trade. There will also be an opportunity for some domestic and international travel.
This is a full time permanent position.
The remuneration rate will be in the range of VND 419,600,000 – 567,700,000 per annum, based on the experience level and skills of the successful candidate.
Key skills, experience and personal attributes required:
- A suitable tertiary qualification and relevant work experience;
- Fluency in both English and Vietnamese (written and spoken);
- Policy or technical advisory experience within the Viet Nam government, the private sector, embassies or other international organisations, ideally in trade and/or agriculture areas (experience in Cambodia and/or Laos would be an advantage);
- Proven research and analytical skills with emphasis on accuracy to detail;
- High proficiency delivering substantial sequential oral interpretation, and accurate and timely written translation especially of technical/legal documents;
- Strong relationship management skills;
- Experience providing logistics support for visiting delegations, including setting up schedules of meetings, organising transport logistics, making hotel and flight bookings, etc;
- Demonstrated cross-cultural awareness.
Our ideal candidate will…
- Be a self-starter, someone able to work creatively in a fluid and evolving context;
- Have existing networks of government contacts, preferably in the trade and/or agriculture sectors;
- Have experience working with a foreign embassy, an international company or agency;
- Have a passion for getting the job done, and understand the importance of tight and timely execution with strong attention to detail;
- Be available for some travel (including Cambodia and Laos).
Qualified applicants should submit their application, including a covering letter, CV, and contact details for two references to NZEmbassy.Hanoi@mft.net.nz by no later than 5pm on Wednesday 6 June 2018. Please include “Application: Policy Adviser, Agriculture” in the title of your email. The successful candidate will need to satisfy a police check.
A copy of the position description for this role may be obtained from the New Zealand Embassy; please send a request to the email address above.
For more information on the role, the New Zealand Embassy, and our work in Viet Nam, please visit https://mfat.govt.nz/en/countries-and-regions/south-east-asia/viet-nam/new-zealand-embassy/ (external link) and the Embassy’s Facebook page at www.facebook.com/nzembassyvietnam (external link).
A full list of all MFAT vacancies in Wellington and overseas is available here.