Trade statistics and economic research
Our economic division helps New Zealand officials at home and overseas to be well informed about economic matters. We provide high-quality research and data analysis about trade and international economic issues and how these affect New Zealand.
We provide guidance on statistical analyses about New Zealand’s merchandise trade, services trade and investment flows. We can also help with preparing concise briefings on the New Zealand economy and global economic issues. And we work with Statistics New Zealand on trade data.
Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade Working Papers are a new series of research papers that explore different aspects of New Zealand’s international trade, investment and other forms of engagement. They will introduce and provide background to research findings by MFAT staff.
We hope the series will encourage and inform public discussion of relevant research areas, and contribute to the development of policy advice. The papers themselves do not constitute policy advice, nor do they necessarily reflect the views of MFAT or the Government.
To receive future MFAT Working Papers, please email DM-ECO@mfat.govt.nz
- MFAT Working Paper - Estimating employment in New Zealand producing goods and services for export [PDF, 138 KB]
- MFAT Working Paper - Estimating New Zealand’s tradable and non-tradable sectors using Input-Output Tables [PDF, 181 KB]
- How New Zealand ranks in the world [PDF, 670 KB]
- Analysis of New Zealand's Goods and Services Trade – Year Ended March 2017 [PDF, 459 KB]
- Global New Zealand - International trade, investment, and travel profile - updated every six months (external link)
- Distributional aspects of New Zealand's tradable and non-tradable sectors [PDF, 1.1 MB]
Report on the composition of New Zealand's tradable and non-tradable sectors in terms of gender, ethnicity, region and business size (July 2018)
- The Servicification of Trade (external link)
Analysis on the importance of services in New Zealand's trade (December 2016)
- Summary of the 2015 Business Operations Survey [PDF, 305 KB]
Summary of the international engagement module of Statistics New Zealand's 2015 Business Operations survey (February 2016)
- NZ's Trading Relationship with Australia at a State Level [PDF, 1.4 MB]
A comprehensive report on New Zealand's trade with Australian States (February 2016)
- The China-ASEAN dynamic [PDF, 576 KB]
Analysis on the impact of China's economic rebalancing on ASEAN and the impact on New Zealand's trade into the region (February 2016)
- Global Growth in Trade Relative to GDP [PDF, 442 KB]
Analysis on the slowdown in global trade growth (August 2015)
- Characteristics of New Zealand's Commercial Services Exporters [PDF, 999 KB]
An update on previous research examining the characteristics of New Zealand's commercial services exporters using Statistics New Zealand's 2011 ITSS Census. (July 2014)