How we do this
We do this by building connections with and influencing other countries to advance New Zealand’s interests, project New Zealand values and secure the outcomes that matter to New Zealand.
We pursue the Government’s international priorities and provide advice to the Government on the implications for New Zealand of what is happening in the world.
Our work contributes to New Zealanders’ well-being in the following ways:
- Kaitiakitanga: Generations of New Zealanders benefit from sustainable solutions to global and regional challenges
- Prosperity: New Zealanders have better job opportunities and incomes from trade, investment and other international connections
- Security: New Zealanders are able to live, do business, travel and communicate more safely at home and offshore
- Influence: New Zealanders have confidence their country can influence others on issues that matter for them now and in the future
Our organisational values are:
- Impact: We achieve for New Zealand, every day, everywhere
- Kotahitanga: We draw strength from our diversity
- Courage: We do the right thing
- Manaakitanga: We honour and respect others
Our values guide how we interact with people within and outside of the Ministry.
They also reflect to our global partners and to New Zealanders the qualities of the country we represent: a tolerant, diverse, inclusive and welcoming society.
Our values support the State Services Commission’s focus on spirit of service, and help us deliver to New Zealanders in an increasingly challenging global environment.
Diversity and inclusion
MFAT values diverse thinking, people and skills. We recognise that diversity allows us to be more innovative in the way we think and act, enhancing the quality of our advice and services.
We aim to reflect the diversity of New Zealand and the countries in which we are present. That's why we’re working actively to grow the diversity of our workforce and the inclusive nature of our workplace.
We have a comprehensive diversity and inclusion strategy and work programme. Click on our diversity and inclusion page to see some of the things we are doing.