Costa Cotsilinis, New Zealand Honorary Consul-General talks about his work in Greece.
Our relationship with Croatia
We have a warm relationship with Croatia built on historical ties and strong family links through the Croatian expatriate community in New Zealand.
Croatian immigrants began arriving in New Zealand from the 1850s and today there are more than 100,000 New Zealanders of Croatian heritage. There are also more than 2,500 Croatian nationals living here.
Political links developed more recently, particularly after Croatia joined the European Union in 2013. Since then there has been an increase in high-level visits to Croatia.
Our deepening relationship is reflected in these recent initiatives:
- reciprocal visa free status was granted in 2013 to Croatian citizens wishing to visit New Zealand as tourists
- a working holiday scheme was introduced in 2014
- a Social Security Agreement is under negotiation.
New Zealand and Croatia cooperate in the international arena, where we share interests particularly as supporters of the United Nations’ peacekeeping efforts. New Zealand played a peacekeeping role during and following the Balkans war, and Croatia is active in peacekeeping operations and post-conflict recovery.
Year ending March 2019 statistics
Exports to Croatia
Top exports: molluscs, sheep meat, machinery
Imports from Croatia
|Top imports: machinery and equipment, footwear|
|GDP per capita||US$14,869|
A number of New Zealand companies have a presence in Croatia in industries such as shipbuilding, meat products and wine.
There are good prospects for expanding trade and economic links with Croatia, and MFAT and New Zealand Trade and Enterprise are working there to promote doing business with New Zealand. Areas with potential for increased cooperation include agriculture, aquaculture, energy, fisheries, food processing, horticulture, viticulture and tourism.
Information on New Zealand’s Working Holiday Scheme with Croatia will be available soon.
- New Zealand is represented in Croatia by the New Zealand Embassy, Rome
- There is a New Zealand Honorary Consul in Zagreb
- Croatia is represented in New Zealand by the Croatian Embassy in Canberra, Australia (external link)
- There is a Croatian Consulate in Auckland
New Zealand to Croatia
- July 2014: Foreign Affairs Minister Murray McCully visited Dubrovnik for the Croatia Forum
- July 2013: Social Development Minister Paula Bennett visited
- July 2012: Speaker of the House Lockwood Smith visited with a parliamentary delegation
- April 2011: Foreign Affairs Minister Murray McCully visited
Croatia to New Zealand
- August 2017: President of Croatia Kolinda Grabar-Kitarović visited
- March 2014: Prime Minister Zoran Milanović and Defence Minister Ante Kotromanović visited
- June 1995: President of Croatia Franjo Tudjman visited
News & Events
Il piano per la partenza coordinata dei cittadini stranieri bloccati garantirà un’uscita sicura e organizzata.
There is currently an outbreak of measles in New Zealand. The outbreak is pre-dominantly in the Auckland region.
Find out more about the current outbreak of measles in New Zealand.