The General Election will be held on 23 September 2017. Voters who are overseas can vote from 6 September to 23 September.
Filter map by:
- NZ Inc Strategies
Our relationship with Finland
New Zealand and Finland share similar views on many international issues including security, disarmament and the environment. As two small, independent democracies, we are natural partners and often share similar perspectives and priorities, particularly in the United Nations and the OECD. Finland is a member of a number of initiatives that New Zealand has instigated, including the Small Advanced Economies Initiative, the Friends of Fossil Fuel Subsidy Reform group, and the Global Research Alliance.
A new dimension was added to our relationship with Finland when they joined the EU in 1995.
New Zealand and Finland have a Working Holiday Scheme in force, which is very popular with young Finns who are able to spend up to a year in New Zealand. This is a welcome strand to our relationship, allowing our young people to create enduring connections. We also have a double taxation agreement with Finland.
Total trade in goods
Exports to Finland
Top exports: sheep meat, venison and wine
Imports from Finland
|Top imports: paper and paperboard and pork|
|GDP per capita||US$49,497||(NZ GDP per capita is US$43,837)|
New Zealanders aged between 18 and 30 can apply for a 12-month working holiday visa for Finland.
For more information, read the Embassy of Finland website. (external link)
- New Zealand is represented in Finland by the New Zealand Embassy in The Hague, Netherlands
- There is a New Zealand Honorary Consul in Helsinki
- Finland is represented in New Zealand by the Finnish Embassy in Canberra, Australia (external link)
- There are Finnish Honorary Consulates-General in Wellington and Auckland, and Finnish Honorary Consulates in Christchurch and Dunedin
New Zealand to Finland
- July 2015: Minister of Revenue and Associate Minister for Trade and Foreign Affairs Todd McClay visited
- 2011: Governor General Anand Satyanand visited
- 2009: Education Minister of Education Anne Tolley visited
- 2007: Education Minister of Education Steve Maharey visited
- 2006: Foreign Affairs Minister of Foreign Affairs Winston Peters visited
Finland to New Zealand
- 2013: Trade and European Affairs Minister Alexander Stubb visited
- 2009: Social Affairs Minister Liisa Hyssälä visited
- 2008: The Agricultural Subcommittee of the Finance Committee of the Finnish Parliament visited
- 2007: President Tarja Halonen visited
News & Events
Equal Rights Coalition members urgently call on Russian authorities to investigate reports of arbitrary detention, torture and killing of gay men by security services in Chechnya.
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade is inviting submissions on the proposed Free Trade Agreement negotiations between New Zealand and the European Union.
In a joint statement on the bilateral relationship, New Zealand and the European Union have announced their agreement to start the process for Free Trade Agreement negotiations.