Equal Rights Coalition members urgently call on Russian authorities to investigate reports of arbitrary detention, torture and killing of gay men by security services in Chechnya.
Our relationship with Finland
New Zealand and Finland share similar views on many international issues including security, disarmament and the environment. As two small, independent democracies, we are natural partners and often share similar perspectives and priorities, particularly in the United Nations and the OECD. Finland is a member of a number of initiatives that New Zealand has instigated, including the Small Advanced Economies Initiative, the Friends of Fossil Fuel Subsidy Reform group, and the Global Research Alliance.
A new dimension was added to our relationship with Finland when they joined the EU in 1995.
New Zealand and Finland have a Working Holiday Scheme in force, which is very popular with young Finns who are able to spend up to a year in New Zealand. This is a welcome strand to our relationship, allowing our young people to create enduring connections. We also have a double taxation agreement with Finland.
|Total trade in goods||$171 million|
|Exports in Finland||$16 million||Top exports: sheep meat, venison and wine|
|Imports from Finland||$155 million||Top imports: machinery, pork, paper and paperboard|
New Zealanders aged between 18 and 30 can apply for a 12-month working holiday visa for Finland.
For more information, read the Embassy of Finland website. (external link)
- New Zealand is represented in Finland by the New Zealand Embassy in The Hague, Netherlands
- There is a New Zealand Honorary Consul in Helsinki
- Finland is represented in New Zealand by the Finnish Embassy in Canberra, Australia (external link)
- There are Finnish Honorary Consulates-General in Wellington and Auckland, and Finnish Honorary Consulates in Christchurch and Dunedin
New Zealand to Finland
- June 2016: Hom Murray McCully, Minister of Foreign Affairs
- October 2015: Hon Hekia Parata, Minister for Education; Hon Paula Bennett, Minister for Social Housing
- July 2015: Minister of Revenue and Associate Minister for Trade and Foreign Affairs Todd McClay visited
- 2011: Governor General Anand Satyanand visited
- 2009: Education Minister of Education Anne Tolley visited
- 2007: Education Minister of Education Steve Maharey visited
- 2006: Foreign Affairs Minister of Foreign Affairs Winston Peters visited
Finland to New Zealand
- February 2018: Minister of Economic Affairs, Mika Lintilä
- Match 2016: Minister of Foreign Affairs, Timo Soini
- March 2014: Minister of Education, Krista Kiuru
- 2013: Trade and European Affairs Minister Alexander Stubb visited
- 2009: Social Affairs Minister Liisa Hyssälä visited
- 2008: The Agricultural Subcommittee of the Finance Committee of the Finnish Parliament visited
- 2007: President Tarja Halonen visited
News & Events
Equal Rights Coalition asks Russia to conduct an investigation into prosecution of LGBTIs in Chechnya.
Statement as delivered by Carolyn Schwalger, Deputy Permanent Representative of New Zealand to the United Nations, 8 November 2016
Delivered by Carolyn Schwalger, Deputy Permanent Representative of New Zealand to the United Nations , 29 February 2016.