In certain circumstances, staff at this Embassy are able to witness affidavits, affirmations, statutory declarations and other documents for use under New Zealand law. The witnessing must take place at the New Zealand Embassy. Please call the Embassy Consular staff to enquire about this service, including applicable fees.
Embassy services for New Zealanders
Assistance for New Zealanders overseas
If you’re a New Zealand citizen, staff at New Zealand embassies can help you in several ways if you get into difficulties overseas – see https://www.safetravel.govt.nz/our-services (external link)
Consular staff at Embassies can:
- provide advice re lost or stolen passports (external link) if you need to travel urgently
- help you contact family or friends to request emergency funds (external link)
- provide a list of English-speaking lawyers, and contact family and friends on your behalf, if you are detained or arrested (external link)
- provide advice on local medical facilities, help contact your family and or insurance provider if you are ill or injured (external link)
- help with arrangements following a death overseas (external link)
- in certain circumstances, provide notarial services such as witnessing affidavits, statutory declarations and other documents for use under New Zealand law
- account for New Zealanders who may have been affected by a major overseas crises, such as civil unrest and natural disasters.
For more information please visit www.safetravel.govt.nz (external link) and https://www.facebook.com/SafeTravel.govt.nz (external link)
Certifying documents as true copies of the original (eg. birth or marriage certificates):
Issuing consular letters
Issuing consular letters, issuing consular certificates, taking affidavits, affirmations or statutory declarations (document prepared by solicitor or applicant):
Witnessing signatures on documents (eg. wills, power of attorney, land transfer deeds):
Verifying foreign documents
Verifying local foreign ministry signature/seal on foreign documents for use in New Zealand:
Verifying Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade documents
Verifying Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade signature/seal on documents for use overseas which have been forwarded by the Ministry's Consular Division, or direct by the client, for passing to a foreign mission:
All fees must be paid in cash. We do not accept payment by Credit Card.