The New Zealand Consulate General does not provide information about visiting, working or living in Switzerland, however we strongly recommend consulting the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade SafeTravel website (external link) before travelling for how to best prepare for your travel and what assistance may be available to you whilst abroad.

The following organisations may be useful in preparing for travel to Switzerland:

Getting married in Switzerland

New Zealanders wishing to marry in Switzerland will need to contact the local authorities in Switzerland in the first instance to check requirements which differ between Cantons/Regions.

In most cases you will be required to present:

  • A full Birth Certificate which is less than six months old. Birth certificates are available from the Births, Deaths and Marriages Office (external link)  and may take up to two weeks to process. In addition certificates may require an Apostille which confirms the authenticity of the document. This can take a further week to process. Further information about document authentication is available from the Department of Internal Affairs website (external link)
  • Documentation stating your present civil status. This can be obtained by making a sworn declaration before a New Zealand representative or a Swiss Notary Public to the effect that you are single, divorced or widowed.
  • A Certificate of No Impediment to Marry (CONI) which states that there is no impediment to the marriage (please note that this does not specify the applicant’s civil status). Application forms are available from the Births, Deaths and Marriages Office and can take up to three weeks to process.
  • A Certificate of citizenship and domicile. This will be prepared on request by the Consulate General. Proof of citizenship and evidence of last residential address in New Zealand (eg correspondence from an official organisation) will need to be provided.

Please note that there is no legal obligation to have an overseas marriage registered in New Zealand unless you also require a marriage certificate to be issued from New Zealand. For further information about registering an overseas marriage in New Zealand see the Getting Married Overseas section of the Department of Internal Affairs website (external link)