On 9 February 2021, the Minister of Foreign Affairs announced the implementation of a travel ban(external link) on Myanmar’s military leaders. This has now been implemented over the following members of Myanmar’s military:
- Senior General Min Aung Hlaing
- Vice-Senior General Soe Win
- Lieutenant General Myint Swe
- Lieutenant General Soe Htut
- Lieutenant General Mya Tun Oo
This list will remain under review.
The military coup in Myanmar is of significant concern to New Zealand. We condemn violence against peaceful protestors in Myanmar and call for the release of all those detained and a return to civilian rule. Those responsible for the injuries and deaths of protestors and political prisoners should be held to account.