The Māori Electoral Option is an opportunity for anyone who is of New Zealand Māori descent and who is enrolled to vote to choose which electoral roll they want to be on – the General roll or the Māori roll.
United States of America
Our relationship with the US
New Zealand and the United States are close strategic partners. We have a deep and longstanding friendship, united by a commitment to promote a free, democratic, secure and prosperous world. The first US Consul to New Zealand was commissioned in 1838.
Under the 2010 Wellington Declaration, we agreed to a new focus on practical co-operation in the Pacific, and enhanced dialogue on a range of international issues. The Washington Declaration, which set out a framework for closer defence relations, was signed by Defence Minister Jonathan Coleman in 2012.
These arrangements commit our two countries to collaborate on a wide range of issues, regular meetings between ministers and annual political military talks between officials. Issues of common concern include:
- Antarctica including safeguarding the environment, scientific research into key concerns such as climate change and supporting the Antarctic Treaty system
- Pacific region stability, security and governance
- Counter-terrorism and countering the proliferation of weapons of mass destruction in the Asia-Pacific region and further afield
- Trade both internationally through the WTO and regionally through APEC
Economic relations span a wide range of commercial activities, including trade in goods and services, and direct foreign investment across all major sectors from heavy manufacturing to agriculture. New areas of our knowledge economy feature in the relationship, as New Zealand firms and institutions work to commercialise their intellectual property in ICT, biotech and clean technology in the US.
New Zealand and the US established the New Zealand United States (NZUS) Council in 2001. It aims to foster and develop a strong and mutually beneficial relationship, and advocates for growing trade and economic links between the two countries. The council works closely with its American equivalent, the United States New Zealand (USNZ) Council.
Total trade in goods
Exports to the US
Top goods exports: meat, dairy products, wine
Imports from the US
|Top goods imports: machinery, aircraft, vehicles, and medical equipment|
The US is New Zealand’s third-largest individual trading partner, and there continues to be scope for further development. It’s a major market for agricultural products, and New Zealand’s largest market for beef and edible offal (worth over NZ$1 billion in 2016). It’s also a significant source of foreign direct investment, innovation and research, and tourism.
New Zealanders over the age of 18 who are students or recent graduates can apply for a 12-month working holiday visa for the US.
For more information, read the US Embassy website (external link).
New Zealand is represented in the US by the:
- New Zealand Embassy, Washington
- New Zealand Consulate-General, Los Angeles
- New Zealand Consulate-General, Honolulu
- New Zealand Consulate-General, New York
- New Zealand also has a group of Honorary Consuls in the states of California, Georgia, Illinois, Massachusetts, Oregon, Texas, Utah, Vermont and Washington.
The US is represented in New Zealand by the:
- United States Embassy, Wellington (external link)
- United States Consulate-General, Auckland (external link)
New Zealand to the US
- June 2017: Minister of Trade Todd McClay visited Washington DC and Los Angeles
- April 2017: Minister of Foreign Affairs Murray McCully visited Honolulu to meet with senior figures in the US Pacific Command
- March 2017: Minister of Foreign Affairs Murray McCully attended a Counter-ISIL meeting in Washington
- April 2016: Prime Minister John Key travelled to Washington for the Nuclear Security Summit
US to New Zealand
- June 2017: Secretary of State Rex Tillerson visited Wellington
- November 2016: Secretary of State John Kerry visited Christchurch as part of a visit to Antarctica
- August 2016: Assistant Secretary of State for East Asia Danny Russel attended the NZ/US Strategic Dialgoue
- July 2016: Vice President Joe Biden visited Auckland
- July 2015: Commander of United States Pacific Command, Admiral Harry B. Harris, visited New Zealand to hold talks with the Government and senior Defence officials
News & Events
New Zealanders in Texas should be aware that severe flooding is of concern in south-eastern Texas due to the on-going effects of Hurricane Harvey.