New Zealand is funding efforts to combat an invasive pest that has the potential to devastate livelihoods and threaten food security in the Pacific.
Federated States of Micronesia
About the Federated States of Micronesia
The Federated States of Micronesia is a group of 607 small islands stretching across the Pacific to the north of Papua New Guinea.
It is an independent country in free association with the United States, and makes up the North Pacific island chain along with the Marshall Islands and Palau. The Federated States of Micronesia is home to 105,000 people.
New Zealand and the Federated States of Micronesia share common interests in issues affecting the Pacific region such as climate change, sustainable fisheries management and regional security.
We also work with the Federated States of Micronesia though our membership in the Pacific Islands Forum.
Goods exports to Federated States of Micronesia
Top goods exports: sawn or chipped wood; gas, liquid, or electricity supply meters; iron or steel stranded wire, ropes, and uninsulated cables
Goods imports from Federated States of Micronesia
|Top goods imports: vegetables|
|GDP per capita||USD$3,400#||NZ GDP per capita is USD$41,267^|
New Zealand is increasing its development cooperation with the Federated States of Micronesia in areas of mutual interest such as climate change and fisheries.
New Zealand cooperates with the Federated States of Micronesia on initiatives that will provide education and build resilience.
This work is delivered through the North Pacific Development Fund, which is administered by the Consulate-General in Honolulu, Hawaii, and through our bilateral aid programme.
The North Pacific Development Fund provides funding for locally run projects up to the value of NZD $75,000. The Fund invests primarily in activities that support income and job generation, training, disaster management and community development.
Find out more about our current priorities, achievements and activities in Micronesia.
- New Zealand is represented in the Federated States of Micronesia by the Consulate-General in Honolulu, Hawaii
New Zealand to Federated States of Micronesia
- June 2019: Parliamentary Undersecretary Fletcher Tabuteau visited Pohnpei for the Forum Fisheries Committee Ministerial Meeting (FFCMM)
- September 2017: Ambassador Karena Lyons presented her credentials in Pohnpei
- 2017: Ambassador for Pacific Economic Development Shane Jones visited the North Pacific
- 2014: Ambassador Robert Kawai visited Pohnpei to present his credentials
- 2010: Foreign Affairs Minister Murray McCully visited Pohnpei for the Forum Economic Ministers Meeting (FEMM)
Federated States of Micronesia to New Zealand
- 2013: Senator Tulensa Palik attended the Secretariat of the Pacific Community’s (SPC) Pacific Regional Rights Resource Team Consultation in Auckland
- March 2013: President Emanual Mori attended the Pacific Energy Summit in Auckland
- April 2013: Congressman David Panuelo attended the Pacific Parliamentary Forum in Wellington
- September 2011: President Emanueol Mori attended the 42nd Pacific Islands Forum in Auckland
News & Events
The Foreign Affairs Defence and Trade select committee is conducting an inquiry into New Zealand’s aid to the Pacific.
New rules on South Pacific bottom fishing will significantly improve management of deep water fisheries and reduce the impact on the marine environment.
Remarks by Deputy Secretary Pacific and Development Group Jonathan Kings at event hosted by New Zealand Aid and Development Dialogues at Victoria University, Wellington, 5 July 2018