New rules on South Pacific bottom fishing will significantly improve management of deep water fisheries and reduce the impact on the marine environment.
The Republic of Nauru is the world's smallest republic by both population and geography. The 21km2 island is home to 11,000 residents. It is part of Micronesia, just 40km south of the Equator, and 300km west of its nearest neighbour, Kiribati.
New Zealand and Nauru have a relationship based on common interests in the Pacific region, such as security, fisheries, regional trade and development.
Find out more about Nauru.
Exports to Nauru
Top exports: food, machinery
Imports from Nauru
|Top imports: steel, electrical services
|GDP per capita||USD$8,853^||NZ GDP per capita is USD$41,267^|
New Zealand’s ambition for Nauru is a well-governed and resilient country that contributes to the stability and standing of the Pacific region.
Our engagement is focused on economic resilience and regional values. We work with Nauru to build capacity to address sustainable development challenges, including building an efficient and effective public sector, effective democratic institutions and increasing economic and social benefits from being an effective labour sending country.
Find out more about our current priorities, achievements and activities in Nauru.
- New Zealand is represented to Nauru by a New Zealand-based High Commissioner. Email the High Commissioner.
New Zealand to Nauru
- 2019: Parliamentary Under Secretary Fletcher Tabuteau represented New Zealand at the closing of Nauru’s 50th anniversary of independence
- 2018: Prime Minister Rt Hon Jacinda Ardern and Foreign Affairs Minister Rt Hon Winston Peters visited Nauru for the Pacific Islands Forum
- 2018: Minister for Pacific Peoples Hon Aupito William Sio represented New Zealand at the opening of Nauru’s 50th anniversary of independence
- 2017: High Commissioner Nicci Simmonds visited Nauru to present credentials as New Zealand High Commissioner to Nauru (non-resident)
- 2014: High Commissioner Matua Shane Jones visited Nauru to present credentials as New Zealand High Commissioner to Nauru (non-resident)
- 2006: Minister of Conservation Chris Carter met with government representatives
- 2003: Governor-General Dame Silvia Cartwright represented New Zealand at the state funeral of President Dowiyogo
- 2001: Prime Minister Rt Hon Helen Clark attended the Pacific Islands Forum
Nauru to New Zealand
- 2019: Minister of Finance and Justice Hon David Adeang met with government representatives and to attend the committee meeting for the Intergenerational Trust Fund for the People of the Republic of Nauru. He was accompanied by Assistant Ministers Kun and Akua
- 2014: Minister of Finance and Justice Hon David Adeang met with government representatives
- 2011: President Marcus Stephen visited for the 42nd Pacific Islands Forum
- 2003: President Rene Harris visited for the Pacific Islands Forum
- 1995: President Bernard Dowiyogo visited for the Pacific Islands Forum
News & Events
Remarks by Deputy Secretary Pacific and Development Group Jonathan Kings at event hosted by New Zealand Aid and Development Dialogues at Victoria University, Wellington, 5 July 2018
New Zealand statement delivered by Ambassador Gerard van Bohemen, Permanent Representative of New Zealand to the United Nations, 23 September 2016