Getting married in Viet Nam

It is possible for New Zealand citizens to marry Vietnamese citizens within Viet Nam, but allow about three months to get all the relevant documentation processed in Viet Nam.

A marriage that has taken place in Viet Nam and which has complied with the laws of the country is recognised in New Zealand. There is no requirement for the marriage to be registered in New Zealand.

The laws of Viet Nam do not actually provide for marriages between two non-Vietnamese citizens, unless the two foreigners have been living in Viet Nam for a long period of time and both have valid Resident Permits.


New Zealander's will need to obtain a 'Certificate of No Impediment to Marriage' (CONI) if you are a New Zealand citizen or 'Certificate of Search' if you are a New Zealand resident which states that you are legally free to marry.

Certificate of No Impediment to Marriage

The process is the same for applying for either a CONI or a Certificate of Search. Download the application form(external link) ('Notice of Intended Marriage of New Zealand Citizen in Another Country') from the Department of Internal Affairs website or visit the New Zealand Embassy in Ha Noi.

Complete the form and either fax or post it directly to the Department of Internal Affairs in New Zealand and include the fee payable to the Department of Internal Affairs (payment options are provided on the form).

The Department of Internal Affairs, Births, Deaths and Marriages will organise authentication of the certificate and send the certificate to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade (MFAT) who will certify it.

After you receive the certificate from MFAT you should contact the New Zealand Embassy, Ha Noi as you will need to have the certificate authenticated to verify the signature and seal. Contact the New Zealand Embassy to enquire about processing requirements including fees and the return of documents.

For further information, please refer to the Department of Internal Affairs(external link) for all procedures, fees and downloadable forms. You must apply directly to New Zealand yourself. The Embassy cannot obtain these for you.


Back to Living in Viet Nam


We use cookies and other tracking technologies to improve your browsing experience on our website, to analyze our website traffic, and to understand where our visitors are coming from. You can find out more information on our Privacy Page.