Obtaining a work permit

The New Zealand Embassy frequently receives queries from New Zealanders on the process to obtain a work permit in Viet Nam.

On this page

We have received recent advice from a local expat newspaper which you may find helpful.

Criteria for Foreign Labourers in Viet Nam

  • Aged 18 and above
  • Must be in good health - must be able to meet the physical demands and requirements of the job
  • Hold clean personal records with no criminal convictions
  • A work permit issued by an authorised Vietnamese agency

Documents required to obtain a work permit

  • Completed application form issued by the Ministry of Labor, War Invalids, and Social Affairs (MOLISA)
  • Completed Resume (Cirriculum Vitae) form issued by the MOLISA
  • Verification of clean criminal record, or if the applicant has resided in Viet Nam for six months or more obtain verification from Vietnamese agencies (Department of Justice) in the city or province where the applicatnt is a registered resident. A criminal record check from a foreign country must be notarised by that country's consulate or Embassy in Viet Nam.
  • Obtain a health/medical certificate issued by a qualified hospital (Cho Ray Hospital, Thong Nhat Hospital, Columbia Hospital, Gia Dinh International Hospital, France-Vietnam Hospital, Oscat Clinic)
  • Copies of degrees and/or professional certificates
  • Three passport photos
  • All documents written in English must be translated and notarised by authorised Vietnamese agencies

No work permit required

  • Workers that stay in Viet Nam for less than three months
  • Members or owners of limited liability firms
  • Members of joint-stock companies' board of directors
  • Service promoters (e.g. tourism or hospitality agents)
  • Lawyers with work permits issued by Vietnam's Ministry of Justice

Please note:

  • Some employers will assist you to obtain a work permit on your behalf.
  • The information above may be subject to change without notice
  • The New Zealand Embassy does not take responsibility for the content or advice given. Should you have any further queries, please refer them to your employer or the relevant Vietnamese agency above


We use cookies and other tracking technologies to improve your browsing experience on our website, to analyze our website traffic, and to understand where our visitors are coming from. You can find out more information on our Privacy Page.